Rotor removal

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

sloanfd

Rotor removal

Postby sloanfd » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:17 pm

Anyone offer some advice on removing a rotor from 1980 cb650 custom. Before I get wrenching too hard on the center bolt just want to make sure it is a normal right hand thread, not backwards left hand. My haynes manual doesn't say and lots of rotating applications are reverse. Second question is does anyone know the thread size of the tapped hole on the rotor used for the puller bolt?

Much appreciated.....love my bike like my wife....fun to ride but what a pain in the ass! Ha

Pinhead

Re: Rotor removal

Postby Pinhead » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:44 pm

I usually use a gear puller with an allen head bolt screwed into the crank to protect the threads.

Also, the threads in the rotor itself is the same as the rear axle. You may want a spare, though, because the original rotor is usually a bear to remove.

sloanfd

Postby sloanfd » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks Pinhead....I'll take your advice and use a proper puller, I'm sure this has never been off the bike before. Is it a normal thread or a reverse?

cbern135

Postby cbern135 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 am

I actually used an 18mm spark plug threader from Pep Boys.. put the deep socket on my breaker bar and she popped right off.
Chris
82 CB650 Cafe

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 am

Welcome here! :D
as written, the rear axle thread fits in there and therefore it may be used as a puller. The correct combination of torquing and hammering on the axle/puller end does the job, so don't over-torque!
Don't try to pull with a claw puller as this will ruin the rotor core (not only windings).
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Crank

Postby Crank » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 pm

the above post is right on. lol. i used a spare rear axle from another cb 650. threaded it in and gave it a good wack. popped right off. 5 minute job ;)

Return to “Technical Discussion”