Issues Starting the Engine

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

chuter

Re: Issues Starting the Engine

Postby chuter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:49 am

My spark unit podding compound melted out. A good Honda wrench buddy suggested I replace it with a very common epoxy product called "JB Weld". It's available at auto parts or many home repair stores. It works great and doesn't cost much.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:27 pm

So you used it?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

ccoulon

Postby ccoulon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up pushing/remolding what was left of the compound back into the spark unit and using epoxy to hold it in. However, the problem seems to still persist. After riding it more it seems like it will shut down when I am trying to accelerate too fast. The last two times that it has died I have waited about 5 minutes and the bike will start back up again like normal. I am still under the impression that it is the ignition system, so next on the list to test is the ignition coil. Does anyone know a good site with information on testing the coil? Thanks again.

Chris

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Try out closing the petcock and check fuel in bowls as written above. Possibly your inline filter is too restrictive or you have something similar like e.g. a kinked fuel line. If only one ignition circuit was affected, there will be a considerable power loss, but a CB650 runs not that bad on three and should run and roll on two somehow (maybe up to 55mph), too.
For the spark units it seems rather they just work or not, modern CDI's are more often tricky on temperature.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:09 pm

I had a pickup go out on my last year and it will go 40 on 2 cyl. Would run fine untill it got hot then run on 2.

chuter

Postby chuter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:05 am

CB: yes, I used the JB weld. I pulled the spark units so they would lay flat, mixed the JB and using a small puddy knife, re-podded the units. JB does not conduct electricity and is not as reactive (it doesn't melt) to higher temps like podding compound.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Cool Adam needs to do this to his ignitors. Wanted to make sure it worked.

chuter

Postby chuter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:36 pm

CB: Here's the ignighters with the JB weld.
Attachments
Igniters for web.JPG
Igniters for web.JPG (23.36 KiB) Viewed 8443 times

my79650

Postby my79650 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:13 pm

great idea as mine have been leaking goo out of them for quite awhile; definitely will give it a try also.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:25 am

Looks good. One should do this with leaking ignitors as soon as possible. If the inner components don't have thermal contact to anything any more, they may overheat and fail. I'd try to have the original stuff at least between components and the bottom side with the cooling fins as this stuff probably offers the required thermal conductivity.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Rocket Man

Postby Rocket Man » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:36 pm

I used high temperature silicon before reading this. I imagine JB weld would have better thermal conduction. So far so good.

Return to “Technical Discussion”