question on Air Cut off Valves

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

jcasey007

question on Air Cut off Valves

Postby jcasey007 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 am

Hi All

So I've completely stripped the carbs ready for an ultrasonic bath and I found that the PO has removed all four of the Air Cut off Valves, looking at the forum posts, this would appear to be ok as long as you block the air bleed passages. what will be the result of my set-up, should I install valves or block the bleed?

FYI - I only ran the engine for a moment when I bought the bike as carb 2 was peeing petrol out of the overflow

cheers

Jim

Volker_P

Re: question on Air Cut off Valves

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 am

Welcome here, Jim! :D

Air cutoffs typically seve to avoid popping when you release the throttle at some rpm. However stock setup CB650's were never observed to pop in this situation so Honda skipped them for most PD carbs and did not do the drilling there.

So you don't really need them and if you find a secure way to block the passages it is probably the better way to avoid separating carbs again in the next few decades... :wink:

Also carb rebuild kits that don't include them are typically cheaper and moreover much easier to find.

And maybe someone should mention you should clean out your tank, too. :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”