fuel in air box, and drain tube

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

jochild

fuel in air box, and drain tube

Postby jochild » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 pm

I just emptied my drain tube thing by the right side exhaust on my bike and maybe an ounce or 2 of gas came out. Then a few days later I emptied it again, and the same stuff came out. My bike is also running terribly, after it warms up and the throttle is opened wide the bike stutters and then eventually dies if i continue to open the throttle. The bike is almost un-ridable in it's current condition. After about 3500 rpm the engine seems fine, but I really have to be gentle on the throttle until I get the revs up. From another one of the posts I read that the poor low revs performance might be the ignition system. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jonathan

Volker_P

Re: fuel in air box, and drain tube

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:57 am

Have a look on your spark plugs, I guess one or two of them look really black and wet. Could be a carb or ignition problem, maybe just spark plugs. However plugs often die soon when operated in excess fuel so it might not be the true origin of your problem. Feeling on the exhaust will show you which cylinders do not work at low revs. If 1+4 and 2+3 behave simultaneous, it is probably an ignition problem.
It is quite bad to have not ignited fuel in the cylinder because it washes down the oil from the walls. :? So first fix your problem before you continue riding like that.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:19 am

I would say carbs or a vacum leak.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

jochild

Postby jochild » Sun May 04, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks for the help/ I've pulled these carbs off about 10 times, and I am getting sick of it. But School is almost out, so hopefully now I will have time to really figure this problem out. Thanks for the help.

Jonathan

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun May 04, 2008 2:12 pm

What year?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Sat May 10, 2008 9:37 am

My bike was acting exactly the same, and I found the problem to be the charging system.

As a test, fully charge the battery and remove the fuse for all of the accessories, then see if the engine peps up.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue May 13, 2008 12:49 am

For a quick and dirty test, I suppose in this case one would feel an obvious difference with the headlight on or off (or even both parts by using the usual headlight and pressing high beam together) .
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”