SEARCHING FOR DUAL DISC FRONT SPOKED WHEEL

Get some new gear

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

andycog

SEARCHING FOR DUAL DISC FRONT SPOKED WHEEL

Postby andycog » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Ahoy CB650 Community!

I'm on the hunt for a dual disc front spoked wheel. I'd like to make the switch to spoked.
My bike is a 1981 model B (I'm quite sure. I think in EU that makes it a Z model) and is fitted with Comstars.
I'm in Europe, If anybody this side of the pond has a wheel kicking about I'd be super interested in buying it from you.
Please drop me a message! Thanks!

GeorgeSweety

Re: SEARCHING FOR DUAL DISC FRONT SPOKED WHEEL

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi andycog, the spoked CB650 wheels were only single disc. One of my bikes originally had spoked wheels but I swapped them for reverse comstars from a Custom model as the chrome was totally shot.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:52 am

CB650 spoked front is only single disk and I think spoked rear was 17" rim/tyre only.
Probably you are going for something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15106&p=96265
A spoked version of the typical EU combination of dual front disk with 16" (Custom) or 18" (Z-model) rear is not simply feasible by combining parts from different CB650 models.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

andycog

Postby andycog » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:33 pm

Aha! Excellent advice! Thanks guys! I didn't know that was the case, nor about the single sided disc setup.
Thanks Volker for the link to Ewe's post, awesome stuff. Have written him to ask what he did :)

andycog

Postby andycog » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:35 pm

Volker_P wrote:CB650 spoked front is only single disk and I think spoked rear was 17" rim/tyre only.
Probably you are going for something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15106&p=96265
A spoked version of the typical EU combination of dual front disk with 16" (Custom) or 18" (Z-model) rear is not simply feasible by combining parts from different CB650 models.

Hey Volker, Any chance you've any idea what the front wheel setup could be here on Ewe's bike?
I've written him but not heard back in a while.. :)

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:59 am

See:

http://www.cbfourclub.de/cbfourum/viewt ... 04&p=30842

Oh, this is German! :lol:
It translates to:

rear: hub of RCo5-USA / rim: CB 75o K2

front: wheel CB 55o / brake disk machined/turned down / Calipers: RC o4

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

CB650SC-C

Postby CB650SC-C » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:40 am

Sorry, a bit late in coming to the party, but I am slowly putting my SOHC Nighthawk together ready for next year when it'll be 40, and have already started down this road :D .

Improving the handling/grip was a number 1 priority, so a few years ago I bought a 17" rear wheel which I hope can be re-laced into a 4.25 rim to run a 160/60x17 at the back (without modding the swinging arm). To match at the front I've bought a spare reverse comstar front wheel, and have stripped it down ready for a spoke conversion https://www.bspokewheels.co.uk/comstar-flanges/ which isn't cheap, but does retain the twin discs, calipers etc, and fits straight in :D .

As I've had mine probably longer than most on here and spent very little on it, it'll be worth spending a few beer tokens to get it into a state whereby it's a pleasure to ride rather than a challenge :mrgreen: .

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:16 am

These spoke conversion rims are interesting.
An maybe they do not look strange at a dual disk front wheel.
But it would be probably very difficult to legalize this here in Germany.

With regard to "rather pleasure to ride than a challenge" I recommend stiffer front fork springs and heavier fork oil and stainless steel brake lines.
The rear tire can make a huge difference, too. I also had spacers in the rear shocks. However mine was a 1980 EU Custom with 16" rear and double disk front.

CB650SC-C

Postby CB650SC-C » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:59 am

Absolutely, in fact I'm only 'spoking' the front so that it matches the rear. I already had fitted progressive springs and a fork brace, virtually from new. Take the point re 'type approval' but they are a recognised outfit, and with the weight/power of a CB650SC-C I wouldnt of thought it to be too much of a worry.

The current rear wheel on it, a reverse comstar 2.50 x 16 is the main offender, as it will 'step out' with the least provocation. The 130/90x16 tyre does not help at all, which is why I bought a cb650 C 'spoked' hub, which was 17", but being spoked, could easily re-rimmed wider.

On further thought I'm going to get hold of a spare swinging arm so that I can build it all up separately, and then change the whole assembly on the bike.

Return to “Accessories and Apparel”