Postby trichard310 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:40 pm

This is the main harness connection.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (8.11 KiB) Viewed 8240 times

trichard310

Re: Electrical issues...help!

Postby trichard310 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:40 pm

This is the ignition harness connection with the red/black spare wires that are connected to the red/black wires in the connection.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (7.78 KiB) Viewed 8240 times

trichard310

Postby trichard310 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:42 pm

This is the connection mated. Sorry about the small pics, I don't know how to make them bigger.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 8240 times

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue May 20, 2014 2:06 pm

The easiest and best way to post pictures is to open a free off-site account such as Photobucket. Upload your pictures there and then link them to here.

So the mystery wires are extras. You need to use a multimeter to test your various wires. You've checked your fuses, but have to checked the back side of the fuse box to make sure everything is clean/connected back there? I would then start tracing the wires from the taillights and turn signals to see where their lack of power starts. Click the link in my signature and go to the free online manual. There is a section on electrics with a wiring diagram.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

trichard310

Postby trichard310 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Here's the weird thing. I can get power to the rear with aftermarket lighting, however, they will stay on all the time and the brake light wont work. When I turn the blinker switch left, the light will turn off on the left side, and vise versa.

On the front with aftermarket running/blinkers, they will do the opposite of the front. If I turn the switch to the left, they will turn on, and stay on the left side, and vise versa.

With the stock lighting. the front/rear wont do anything, but If I connect them to a different power source, they work.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue May 20, 2014 3:10 pm

Interesting. Are your aftermarket lights LED? These will generally not draw enough power to activate the turn signal relay. A different relay is required.

There should not be running lights on the rear--only on the front. When the turn signal is activated, the rear will blink on and the front will blink off. Do you have a multimeter? I would check continuity through the rear brake switch, and check the continuity in the rear lighting system.

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

trichard310

Postby trichard310 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:00 pm

No LED's, just standard bulbs. I will check for continuity and update. Any chance my signal relay could be at fault? Thanks for the help!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue May 20, 2014 4:40 pm

trichard310 wrote:No LED's, just standard bulbs. I will check for continuity and update. Any chance my signal relay could be at fault? Thanks for the help!

It could be the problem. How is it hooked up? You know the green wire does not connect to anything?

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Battery good? Low volts and they wont flash.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

trichard310

Postby trichard310 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:52 pm

Green is not hooked up. Battery is juiced up good. I can't say for certain its fully charged, lost my multimeter. I hooked the battery to a charger for a while though. The things that are working, are nice and bright.

trichard310

Postby trichard310 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Update: tested battery @ 12.54. Tested power to horn, flasher relay, front/rear brake switch, fuse box, got power everywhere. Cleaned the signal control switch up. Got the brake/tail light worked out. Now, everthing is working except the blinkers/front running. Rear light are on all the time, front are not. If I turn the control switch left, the rear left turns off and both front power up, and same to the right. Crossed wires in the harness, or faulty control switch? On another note, thermal or electronic flasher relay for replacement with aftermarket lights, non LED's? Thanks

onepieceatatime

Postby onepieceatatime » Wed May 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Folsoml wrote:Your picture is too small for me to see, but you should have two greens, a brown, and a black left over after everything is plugged in. It looks like you have an extra green. Another thread suggested that the green ground wire should attach to one of the bolts mounting the bucket.

This is how 2 of the green wires should connect. These nuts would be inside the headlight bucket, mounting it to the ears.
http://i.imgur.com/BNoqU.jpg

The orange and blue wires are the turn signal wires in OP's picture from this post:
trichard310 wrote:Well okay then. These are the only wires that don't seem to go to anything, besides the mistery red and black wires on the ignition connection. Any chance you have a photo or could elaborate further. Everything worked on the bike before, and Im 100% sure I didn't loose anything?!?!? Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it.

Blue is right, orange is left. The green wires on my picture are how the front signal bulbs are grounded. If they are not connected, or are dirty connections, it will not work correctly.

If you are replacing it anyways, would go for the electronic flasher relay for any system, but that is just my personal opinion.
Folsoml wrote: Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. :lol:

1977 CB750K
1977 CB750K
1978 CB400A
1980 CB650C
1980 CB650
1982 CB900F
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

trichard310

Postby trichard310 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:23 am

Im past what wires connect where and what color they are. My bike is a 81 cb650C, so my front blinkers are grounded within the housing. Its come down to this. Basically, the rear is doing what the front should be doing, and vise versa. My question now is, why are the rear wires always powered, and the front not? Shouldn't the rear only get power to the right or left, when I switch the control to either right or left? Shouldn't the front wires always have power, not just when the control switch is right or left? Please correct me if Im totally lost here!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu May 22, 2014 10:02 am

That is correct. The front running light should be on, then blink off when the turn signal is activated. The rear should be off, but blink on. Something is crossed up somewhere. Did you see the wiring diagram in the on-line manual?

Interestingly, I found an extender for the ignition switch plug in my box of extra stuff. This is just a 6-8 inch harness that extends the ignition switch away from the main harness. This extender had extra black and red wires that had been clipped off. Wonder what that was for?

trichard310

Postby trichard310 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:44 am

Folsoml wrote:That is correct. The front running light should be on, then blink off when the turn signal is activated. The rear should be off, but blink on. Something is crossed up somewhere. Did you see the wiring diagram in the on-line manual?
Interestingly, I found an extender for the ignition switch plug in my box of extra stuff. This is just a 6-8 inch harness that extends the ignition switch away from the main harness. This extender had extra black and red wires that had been clipped off. Wonder what that was for?
So I'm not crazy! That is exactly what I have. U just removed that ignition harness aye?

Return to “Technical Discussion”