Dunlop or not to Dunlop

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

chuter

Dunlop or not to Dunlop

Postby chuter » Tue May 06, 2014 2:05 pm

In the past I've seen several discussions on CB650 rider's preference for a particular model Dunlop tire. I'm in need of replacing the Duro 12.0/90-17 rear tire on my '80 CB650. I like the profile, ride and control of this inexpensive tire but it's only lasted a couple years and under 6,000 miles. I don't ride aggressively so the tread up the sides is like new but the center is at the bars.
So... should I Dunlop or not? Which model is preferred?
Thanks again.

flamdchicken

Re: Dunlop or not to Dunlop

Postby flamdchicken » Tue May 06, 2014 2:24 pm

I just got new tires for mine not too long ago when I got the bike. I bought kenda challengers I think. Like most of the new tires they are not in the old style with car style treads, but they grip the road well and don't seem to have any problems. They might not look the part, but fairly cheap if you are looking for that, I think I got both tires for a little over $125 or so. Sorry, don't know about the dunloss

chuter

Postby chuter » Tue May 06, 2014 4:53 pm

And... how important is it to "match" the front and rear tires for better control and tire mileage? The tire on the front is an older style than the Dura on the back.

flamdchicken

Postby flamdchicken » Tue May 06, 2014 5:28 pm

I honestly dont know. With the type of riding I do (not stupid driving) I doubt that getting matched tires isnt a huge deal for control, one might have more grip than the other, but unless your banking at 50 degrees at 60 mph I think you would be fine. Wear wise, I think thats more on how you load the bike (1 person vs 2 person, or loaded saddle bags, etc) as to which tire gets worn more. I could see different brands wearing at different rates, but if its not a bit deal to you to not have matching tires then thats what I would go with if it is cheaper for you. I have had 3 older bikes now and have changed the tires on all of them (only once when bought and never had them long enough to need new tires) and I have never had a problem with any tire I have got, and I go by the "get the cheapest thing the shop will give me without looking at me like I have a death wish" methodology for the tires. Again I have no idea what I am talking about, just my thoughts.

flamdchicken

Postby flamdchicken » Tue May 06, 2014 5:28 pm

I honestly dont know. With the type of riding I do (not stupid driving) I doubt that getting matched tires isnt a huge deal for control, one might have more grip than the other, but unless your banking at 50 degrees at 60 mph I think you would be fine. Wear wise, I think thats more on how you load the bike (1 person vs 2 person, or loaded saddle bags, etc) as to which tire gets worn more. I could see different brands wearing at different rates, but if its not a bit deal to you to not have matching tires then thats what I would go with if it is cheaper for you. I have had 3 older bikes now and have changed the tires on all of them (only once when bought and never had them long enough to need new tires) and I have never had a problem with any tire I have got, and I go by the "get the cheapest thing the shop will give me without looking at me like I have a death wish" methodology for the tires. Again I have no idea what I am talking about, just my thoughts.

mycaferacer

Postby mycaferacer » Tue May 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Bought a set of Dunlops from Dennis Kirk.
Pretty solid pair.

Return to “Technical Discussion”