Air Box to Carburetor Boots

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

flamdchicken

Air Box to Carburetor Boots

Postby flamdchicken » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:46 pm

I am trying to find some new boots that go from the stock airbox (1980 cb650c) to the carburetors. They are old but still soft, however they seem to be over stretched and dont make a great seal around the carbs. If I try tightening down the clamps even more, they start to slide back off the carbs. I noticed this issue because I have fuel coming through the boots when I have it idling. Its not overflowing because theres no leak when its off, only when its running. I can easily see this on the #1 carb, and looking around I can see some on the #2 carb but cant really tell if its coming from the boots. So I have the 2 issues, where can I get replacement boots, and why do you think I am having fuel leak when running.

I have found this site, http://www.cycleonemanufacturing.com/id298.html. The say that its for a 69-72 cb750, but they look close to what I want. Its been a while since I have looked at the boot itself, but the ones on that site seem a little bit longer in the part that would fit into the airbox.

my79650

Re: Air Box to Carburetor Boots

Postby my79650 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:22 am

Best chance is to try to get better shaped ones from a bike junkyard. There is a rubber seal bout 1/2" thick between the airbox and the piece that has the actual air filter in it. I had to use 2 of those seals stacked together to get the airbox out enough to have the boots reach and seal on the carburetors. And no issues with air leaks by doing that. Its called an air cleaner to chamber band, that's what the shop manual calls it.

flamdchicken

Postby flamdchicken » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Im not sure how the 79 is set up, but the 80 has something similar, except that between the air filter box, and the air chamber the rubber piece clamps onto the air filter end with a band clamp of types, and on the air chamber end the plastic of the chamber fits into a groove in the rubber piece. The rubber piece is also not straight, so I do not think there is any way for me to use 2 rubber pieces to extend out the air chamber. What I am thinking of doing is using electrical tape or something and putting a few layers around the carb end to try and take up some of the gap.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:45 am

Wish i had a photo of my setup to show you; the seal will take the shape of the air box, try not to over tighten it and make it out of shape, its supposed to be almost a rectangle shape.

flamdchicken

Postby flamdchicken » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:24 am

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/ ... 7_902e.gif

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/ ... 7_5d24.gif

It looks like in the 79, the piece that holds the airfilter is more or less centered on the bike. In the 80, it is on the right side of the bike. In the fiche for the 79, it looks like its a straight shot from the 2 pieces. The 80 however is slightly misaligned and you can see how the rubber piece is not a straight tube, it is misaligned as well as has 2 completely different shapes for each end. Unfortunately I dont think i will be able to modify this end too much. I did however just buy new boots between the engine and the carbs and hopefully the small amount of flexability there will allow me to get the boots between the air chamber and the carbs to have a better seal. Any idea why I would be leaking fuel out from that joint though? It seems like it is happening in at least 3/4 carbs, and only while running (idling with choke at least).

ekos

Postby ekos » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:42 am

I found replacement rubber boots on this site

cruzinimage.net they have a good selection of parts for our rides

Anyone here ever order from cruzinimage.net ? Are they trustworthy ?

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:52 pm

ekos wrote:I found replacement rubber boots on this site

cruzinimage.net they have a good selection of parts for our rides

Anyone here ever order from cruzinimage.net ? Are they trustworthy ?

Hi ekos, where are you? I've ordered parts from cruzinimage before without any problems and I live in the UK. BTW, the post you are replying to is from 2014.

ekos

Postby ekos » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:38 am

Im in Norway
Aware it is an old post but it was relatet to my search for replacement rubber boots. Hopefully others might find it helpful if the do look for theese parts

BR Espen

Return to “Technical Discussion”