Quick accelerator pump question

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

jochild

Quick accelerator pump question

Postby jochild » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:48 pm

So someone suggested that my laggy throttle is because of my accelerator pump. I pulled it out, and one of the little tabs had a hole in it, while the other one was still full of rubber. Is this the way it is supposed to be, or is there supposed to be holes in both of the little tabs?

Thanks,

Jonathan

arcangel

Re: Quick accelerator pump question

Postby arcangel » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:31 pm

sorry I for one can't remember but if it spits fuel (or air if unatatched) when shaft is pushed in it works. that is all it is for to enrich the carbs to prevent bike from dying.
A>
<A

jochild

Postby jochild » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:33 pm

Yeah I had the carbs off, but I didn't fill the bowls with fuel. I didn't want to spill it all over myself, so I don't know if it is working properly. I do know that the diaphragm is a little warped, but it doesn't have any holes in it, so I think it should be ok.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:43 pm

even empty you should still hear air flow when activating it.
If the diaphragm is in tact and some what warped and the pump sealed it should still work. but only was is to try it with fuel just wash your hands after wards or use gloves and safety glassed in either case
A>
<A

jochild

Postby jochild » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:43 am

yeah I don't think it was working i retried with the carbs on the bike and I pulled back the air box, but I wasn't hearing anything or getting any fuel. I ordered a new one, and when I install it i'm going to make sure all the passageways are clear. Thanks for the help, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jonathan

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:36 pm

Kool I will be waiting to hear how it turns out.
A>
<A

jochild

Postby jochild » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:03 am

Since the weather has been cold it took me a long time to get the stupid accelerator pump installed. So here is what had happened: originally one of the holes on the old accelerator pump was filled in with rubber, so I thought the new one would fix the problem of boggy acceleration. During installation I decided to put in a new O-ring between the float bowl and the carb body. Acceleration did not seem to change, I was extremely disappointed. I pulled the carbs again, the pump seemed to be working when the bowl was off. As soon as the bowl was reinstalled the pump stopped working... So what had happened was the O-ring I had installed had swelled in the presence of gas (not a good quality for O-rings) and when the bowl was installed the holes for the pump were plugged. So I finally figured this out, after about 3 hrs. and put in the old O-ring and reinstalled the carbs. My engine is so much more responsive, and much easier to launch. It should have been a 20 minute job, but I am an idiot so that is what I get...

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Your not an idiot, any yes o-rings swell that is just part of how they work.
I am glad you got the pump to work how about the spacing what gap does the rod have from the plate that activates the rod?
i was told it is around 1/32 or 1/16 I can't remember, dang I hate getting old.
A>
<A

jochild

Postby jochild » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:36 am

I didn't measure the spacing, but there is nearly no spacing between the rod and the plate. But all seems to be working well so i'm not gonna mess with it too much more, we all know how much of a pain it is taking these carbs off...

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:46 am

arcangel wrote: ... o-rings swell that is just part of how they work.

O-rings should not swell. Swelling means material change/destruction. Instead they work due to mechanical deformation by pressure, e.g. they are compressed in axial direction to expand and tighten in radial direction or the other way round and there are some more applications.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:17 pm

every factory oem honda o ring I got for my carborater float bowl swelled from being in gas I had to wait tell the next day to put my o rings back on my float bowls, after I installed them and find out the tank was leaving rust flakes in my carb bowls, so I had to remove them and put in a inline filter to stop the rust problem , It took them 1 day to shrink back to the proper size to put them back on with out damaging them so I think they all do that if gas gets on them.
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:45 am

That they swell means not that they really should do that or even need to for working properly. If swelling is reversible without hardening it should however cause no problems in a completely closed groove.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”