Running lights?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

JasonLester

Running lights?

Postby JasonLester » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:39 am

Ok on my 1980 CB650 the headlight and tail light work fine and the turn signals work. However, I have seen many bikes where the turn signals are lit like the tail light to make you more visible at night. And then they flash brighter when the turn signals are on.

Are the CB650's not setup this way or is there something I should look for to fix this on mine. I like being visible for sure. Now that I have this thing running nice Its got me thinking about little stuff.

arcangel

Re: Running lights?

Postby arcangel » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:56 pm

No Sorry they are not!
only the tail light lights up in the back back blinkers don't and in the front the blinkers have running lights.

I have been thinking of adding a 2nd light to the turn signal housing
and wiring it to the running light on the brake light. I have been worried it would over load the fuse.
I am thinking of adding a led to each lense this way the electric draw will be less.
Hope this helps :D
A>
<A

JasonLester

Postby JasonLester » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:56 pm

So the fronts should have running lights?

An LED might be a good addition. I'm probably going to get some reflective tape to add here and there to make myself more visible. I have to many kids to take care of to get run over out there.

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:19 am

arcangel, Here in the States rear running lights have to be red. So adding another light behind orange lenses for running lights is illegal.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Yes the front should have orange running lights, the turn signals double as turn signals and running lights in the front only

I live in the USA also

But I did not think about the fact that the signals are orange, woops
but My brake lights have red lenses so adding a dim light to it should be ok as long as the running light is not to bright the brake lights
will be seen as a brighter red just like in a cars brake lights.

and the running lights that are orange , that I am talking about are in the front of the bike the orange turn signals in the front on my bike are on all the time and they blink when I apply the turn signal.
Hope this clears this up.

Also They sale LED light pods that are 12 volt and you hook up to the battery with a fuse and switch they come in red, orange, blue, and white
for around $29 to $39 dollars some even are flexible in multi led strips,
the pods are 4 to 6 leds in a square shape. and a round circle.
They would make the bike easyer to see.
That is if it is leagle and then what ever color is legal in your area.
A>
<A

JasonLester

Postby JasonLester » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:47 pm

Mine aren't lit up front for some reason. I'll trace that out this week. I took it down to work over the weekend so I can goof around with it in the warm as opposed to my cold garage. Plus its out of the way for the winter here. And I'll remember to start it and run it occasionaly if its there.
Of course its been like 70 degrees since I took it there. :(

I do think I'll find some LED marker lights to wire in in back as long as it doesn't take away too much from the looks. I just like to be seen.

JasonLester

Postby JasonLester » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Figured out my problem. Too easy realy. for some odd reason I never hooked them up when I put the original turn signals back on. It had that big fairing and I removed that wire but a previous owner had removed the signals. So when I got them in and installed them I must have had a reason for not hooking them up. Probably because I wasn't 100% sure of what wire went where.

Today I got out the Fluke Multimeter and went testing. Sure enough I could have just attached the wires the way that seemed obvious. I did have a time with the connectors as they were deformed a bit (another reason I may have skipped hooking them up) but the right tool and they work just fine.

I keep tinkering with this thing and I'm thinking of pulling both wheels off over the winter and working on the spokes. They need work and to be honest are the worst looking part of my bike. I like the spokes, but mine don't look that great.

Anybody redone thiers? I was thinking of sanding them to get them bright or just painting them. Although painting will require alot of tapeing.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Not me,
But the trash from the road can be very hard on painted spokes.
You will be surprised how scratched they can get.
and if you just clean off the rust they seem to re rust very quickly.
gess the dampness and water from the road.
Better off finding some one to re spoke them.
A>
<A

JasonLester

Postby JasonLester » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:14 pm

Don't know if these rims are worth it. I believe it sat outside covered for a good while. The tank etc looks great but the rims suffered. I cleaned them up ok. But not enough to respoke them.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:46 pm

That is one reason I am glad I have the custom version no spokes and alum rims. :D
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:41 am

I agree that jut sanding them will probably not last long. For painting, use a special paint against corrosion. If that look is acceptable for you, you may avoid respoking them. Usually spokes are chromed or covered by something else as they are quite susceptible to rust. I think a PO already sanded away this cover more or less completely from your spokes as they are untypical corroded compared to the rest of the bike.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

JasonLester

Postby JasonLester » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:37 am

I'm probably just being picky. I know I look alot closer at my bike and my GTO than anyone else does. I looked at my pictures and it looks pretty good. which is the way most people see it. But I get up close and get picky. I did this with the GTO too (still do) But I guess attention to detail keeps them nice.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:51 pm

That is as It should be.
I am my own worst critic. I see all the problems with my bike and every one
else keeps saying the bike looks great.

If you do paint the spokes powder coat is the way to go if you can afford it
if not be sure to use a good cleaner and then a good primer
a green wash primer works best on chrome and alum , both metals are hard to get good adhesion so the green wash primer works better than plain primer the green wash should be put it on very thin. 1/2 mil or so
some primers require top coat put on with in 30 min to 1 hour some not before 24 hours
Just read and follow the can instructions then put on a good top coat.
and be sure to get primer and top coat that is compatible with each other.
I work in a metal shop doing Quality Control I check these things all the time and alum and chrome both can be a pain to keep the paint adhered to them.
Unless you blast the surface you need the green wash or a primer made for the metal you have.
Ok enough Ranting for now Sorry but Quality habits are hard to break :lol:
A>
<A

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:52 pm

There are also spray cans of rust neutralizing primer. It neutralizes the rust and turns into a rock hard primer.

JasonLester

Postby JasonLester » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:58 pm

good info. I thank you for that. I never thought about blasting them. I have a sand blaster but it would seem to be hard to do without messing it up.

I think it would be a big job. I may not be ready to tackle that one yet.

Return to “Technical Discussion”