Cam problems

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

jochild

Cam problems

Postby jochild » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:42 pm

Back again with another problem...

So I am still learning how to work on my bike, and tonight I decided to tighten the cam chain. When I loosened the bolt i turned the engine a few times as mentioned in the manual and then tightened the cam chain bolt again. I then started the bike and I had tons of noise coming from the valves. It was a really fast ticking noise from the top end. Was there a chance that by tightening the cam chain I some how messed up the spacing on my valves. I didn't have the time to adjust the valves, and to be honest I don't really know how to adjust them. I have the proper spacing tool, but the pictures are hard to follow in the manual. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

cb650

Re: Cam problems

Postby cb650 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:42 am

You have to tighten the nut while turning the engine over. Where are you at?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

jochild

Postby jochild » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:00 pm

I just thought you had to turn the engine a few times then tighten the nut, but you need to be constantly turning it? So it might be a 2 person job then?

Thanks, Jonathan

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:10 pm

No he motor needs to be turning. If you are in denver I'll show you. There is another problem 650 in the area.

jochild

Postby jochild » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:17 pm

Yeah I live in denver. I will try it myself first, but if i get stuck or can't seem to figure it our i'll let you know.

Jonathan

P.S. are you the guy who offered to by my bike when it was sitting in my sisters back yard?

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:36 pm

I dont think so. Only 650 Ive looked to buy is in a J/Y.

jochild

Postby jochild » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:57 pm

So I got the chain tightened right tonight, and it sounds much better than before. My next project is to balance the carbs. I was going to build my own carb synching tool, so if you have any ideas that would be great. Before it gets too cold we should get together and do some work on our bikes.

Jonathan

Buber

Postby Buber » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:32 am

A hint... check the pic...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=571&p=3887&hilit=tool#p3887

Hint no.2 - Valves are always ticking, when cold. Once engine is warm, they should stop. In a properly adjusted engine you may have (and probably will have) only a clutch rattle. You shouldn't hear cam chain nor valves.
Clutch rattle is easy to check - on idle pull the clutch and you will hear the difference.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:20 am

I have a mercury stick for syncing the carbs.

jochild

Postby jochild » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Do you want to get together some time and work on our bikes. It sounds like you know more than me, so you might be teaching me more than I am actually helping you.

Jonathan

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:24 am

Adjust the valves and check ignition timing before you go to carb synchronization. Also have a look at your air filter. The tension of your cam chain may be checked directly with a screwdriver after removal of the top center engine cover.
As carb balancing is usually only fine tuning and might get lengthy and annoying for a beginner, I'd say get some help or get to know your engine better by learning to adjust the valves etc. first. If it idles not too bad and throttle response is more or less allright, carb synchronization is no really urgent job.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

jochild

Postby jochild » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:01 am

Yeah I am going to adjust my valves this weekend. I will have to track down an air filter to put in, because i'm sure it needs a new one. My throttle response is a little sluggish, but i'll make sure I have everything in spec first before i sync the carbs. Thanks for the ideas.

Jonathan

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:48 pm

PM sent

Return to “Technical Discussion”