Carb problems

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

jochild

Carb problems

Postby jochild » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 am

Hey everybody, been a while since I've posted here. I have a 1979 that has been sitting for about the last 3 years. I just got it back from a friend. I pulled the carbs and cleaned them first off, and now it starts better, but I still have problems at low rpm with the choke all the way in. The engine dies easily while trying to accelerate. It might be an accelerator pump issue, the small orifices might be slightly clogged. Any recommendations on how to get those as clean as possible? I also seemed to have lost the left side cover, which if I recall seems to help moderate the airflow into the carbs, so without it they might be burning a little too lean right off idle. Any ideas, or anyone who has had similar problems without the side cover? I don't mind buying one, but if I can fix it without spending $50 on ebay that would be great.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Volker_P

Re: Carb problems

Postby Volker_P » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:28 am

jochild wrote: I still have problems at low rpm with the choke all the way in. The engine dies easily while trying to accelerate.

This is kind of normal as long as the engine is cold. Should however vanish after some minutes of riding.
Do all header pipes get equally hot?
I woul try to verify the accelerator pump openings by blowing them through. Without the pump diaphragm to avoid damage here.
Did you check out that the accelerator pump works at all i.e. the rod is moving (slowly, that's correct) when you open the throttle from completely closed?

Hope you cleaned out the tank, too. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

jochild

Postby jochild » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:44 pm

All the pipes get hot, and even after 30 minutes of riding there is still problems with the choke all the way in, but I think I need to go through and try and clean the accelerator pump orifices again. I just hate pulling those carbs out, and I'm always afraid I'm going to rip the airbox seals. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jonathan

jochild

Postby jochild » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Right after hitting the throttle hard there is a little bit of a sucking sound that seems to be coming from the air box, is that what a vacuum leak sounds like? I'm going to try putting some new spark plugs in this week too, it might be that those are fouled up pretty good.

Thanks

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 am

If you still have no cover, this sound may be normal. The critical location for air leaks is between engine and carbs. The airbox side should be tight, too, however small leaks there should have no feelable impact.

Too low floater level may fit your problem, too.

Nevertheless new plugs are always a good idea. Do the old plugs look all equal?
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”