'79 cb650 leaking carbs

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

andrewnorman

'79 cb650 leaking carbs

Postby andrewnorman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Everyone!

I just bought myself a 79 cb650 and it came with some leaking carbs. I got a pretty good discount off the asking price because of the leak so i took it. I had a cb550 a while back and i kinda know my way around the engine. I also believe it is running rich. I have never rebuilt carbs or tuned them so this will be a learning experience for me. Im told there may be gunk causing it to overflow. If this could be true is there anyway to clear it out before i have to resort to taking all of the carbs off and apart?
Attachments
cb650.jpg
cb650.jpg (203.74 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

Volker_P

Re: '79 cb650 leaking carbs

Postby Volker_P » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:29 am

As carbs come out hard, first thing to do is check out and clean tank. Just to avoid multiple carb work. If you cannot get the tank really clean, consider to install an inline filter. The filter screen at the petcock is much too coarse.

Leaking carbs may be related to dirt at the floater valves or sticking floats. The latter often happens when parts between different carbs are mixed up.
Sticky floats may be set free again by careful knocking on the corresponding floater bowl with a piece of wood.

Sometimes the floater valves are damaged by improper cleaning efforts.

At least the outer floater bowls may be removed with the carbs installed. One can start with that for a first impression how carb bowls look inside.
With proper tools, the inner ones are possible, too.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

andrewnorman

Re: '79 cb650 leaking carbs

Postby andrewnorman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:19 am

problem solved: improperly set float bowl gasket.

Return to “Technical Discussion”