Starting help

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

jrjanes

Starting help

Postby jrjanes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Ok so I've got a 79 cb650, and I'm having trouble starting it all of a sudden, I have done the HEI ignition upgrade with stock coils, but I'm pretty sure it's not electrical cause I can get it to turn over a few times with starting fluid. I have thouroughly cleaned the carbs twice now and the pilot screws are at stock setting.

jrjanes

Re: Starting help

Postby jrjanes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Also, When I look at the plugs after turning the engine over a bunch, there seems like there is no fuel on the plugs.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:41 am

As you cleaned the carbs twice, how does your tank look like inside? You need a perfectly clean tank! If you can't manage that, install an inline filter. The filter screen of the petcock is not fine enough.

As your last topic was choke help, I suggest to start there. Maybe your replacement part does not work properly.
Make sure all four choke flaps on both halves of the divided choke cam close simultaneously and completely. Choke operation may be adjusted at the clamp at the carbs that holds the outer part of the choke cable.

With the very last bit of pulling the choke, also the throttle cam should lift a bit. Have a look. There should be a screw for adjustment close to the plastic part you broke recently.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

jrjanes

Postby jrjanes » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:11 am

Alright thanks I'll take a look at that, I've also had an inline filter for the gas since I got it so I know it's getting clean fuel at least.

wingman

Postby wingman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Also make sure the vacuum line from the back of cylinder2 to the petcock is connected or no gas will flow to the carbs.

Return to “Technical Discussion”