Cleaning carbs and have accelerator pump jet question

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

popageorgio

Cleaning carbs and have accelerator pump jet question

Postby popageorgio » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Well i have been working to get a 1981 cb650 with 2200 miles on it running from a 26 year long nap. I went through the carbs quickly the first time and got the bike running and idling fine with no load. When i ran the bike i got a lot of sputtering and no response or very!! late response. I have not had much experience with the accelerator pump but was told it is critical for acceleration =) hence the name i suppose. Well the second time i had the carbs apart i was jetting carb cleaner through the jet and avenues to the individual carbs. They were pretty bad and only getting fluid to come out with pressure through 2 of the carbs. well i figured i could remove the very small jet inlet that leads to the distribution pipes to the carbs to blow more cleaner through it. well i tried and failed and slightly damaged the inlet on the pump where it has the lips that fit a small flat head. well i stopped as soon as it happened and then continued with the spraying. I got a much better response from the engine but still not normal operation in my opinion. i still get drag from a cylinder or two when i crank the throttle. now i will get to the point. =) I was wanting to know weather this jet inlet in the accelerator pump is removable? and if it isnt what the hell do i do now? information on cleaning and the removal would be awesome guys. thanks in advance

popageorgio

Re: Cleaning carbs and have accelerator pump jet question

Postby popageorgio » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:34 pm

any information on how to clean the large protruding heads jets in the throttle body would be good too

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:29 am

Welcome here! :D

Best advice to avoid lengthy carb cleaning trouble is to clean out the tank and maybe install an inline filter if this does not get out everything. The filter screen at the petcock is too coarse.

The accelerator pump should spray a bit of fuel into the carbs as soon as the throttle opens from completely closed. Check that out visually. Use the opportunity to watch if all four throttle flaps close to the same, tiny gap at idle. If not, adjust them to do so, #2 serves as a reference and is not adjustable. Possibly also the vacuum pistons are a bit sticky after 26years.

However I would not concentrate on the accelerator pump for now. Check out first if it runs equally on all four. This means all headers should get equally hot and all plugs should look equal.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

popageorgio

Postby popageorgio » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:36 am

I suppose i should start replacing rubber parts in the carb. When i first went through them i was interested to see if the bike would even run and only replaced the bowl gaskets. Well it does run So now i guess its time for fine tuning. =)

popageorgio

Postby popageorgio » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:52 am

I noticed that bikebandit still offers OEM gasket set for the carbs. Does anyone know if the 40$ set is for all 4 carbs or just one?

TicoCafe

Postby TicoCafe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:48 pm

popageorgio wrote:I noticed that bikebandit still offers OEM gasket set for the carbs. Does anyone know if the 40$ set is for all 4 carbs or just one?

In most cases the Carb Rebuild Kit is for one carb... I just bought a kit from Z1 Enterprises for $24/each.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/Carburetor ... 2-492.aspx

Return to “Technical Discussion”