How do you remove the 2 center spark plugs????

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Infantry-Soldier

How do you remove the 2 center spark plugs????

Postby Infantry-Soldier » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:24 pm

Is there some trick to doing this? I just discovered why my bike probably won't idle, and whatnot...
I just had her running again, and after about five minutes I tried to let it idle on its own, and it died. I licked my fingers and checked all four exhausts, and the 1st and 4th were really really hot. The 2nd and 3rd I could put my hands on, nothing. So my guess is my 2 center cylinders arn't firing....... Anyways, the socket I have won't fit into the opening to get at the plugs. Do I have to take stuff off to get em out?!

Pinhead

Re: How do you remove the 2 center spark plugs????

Postby Pinhead » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:27 pm

No, you don't have to remove anything. But you do need a thin-walled socket to be able to fit down in there. I find it's much easier to do it with the tank removed as well.

Buber

Postby Buber » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 am

BTW, those are probably not plugs, but something with the coil. Remember that there are 2 coils - one gets spark for cylinders 1-4, other for 2-3.
So my bet is that something is wrong with ignition, i.e. pulser, power of the coil or something like that. Check the wiring.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:09 am

I support Buber's assumption. Nevertheless get a suitable socket and get out the plugs as this is something you will have to do sooner or later anyway. You can exchange 1-4 vs. 2-3 ignition circuit parts step by step to identify the faulty part.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Infantry-Soldier

Postby Infantry-Soldier » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:46 pm

That is what I figured....
Is it safe to just move the wires from 1-4 over to 2-3?? To see if they fire?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:41 am

If you exchange 1-4 with 2-3 wires, spark would be when pistons are at the bottom. Engine won't run that way but you may blow your exhaust if it is already a bit rusted and you have fuel in it. Don't ask how I know! :roll:
You may try out with plugs outside the engine, but you always need two spark plugs in each circuit as it is a series arrangement (closed by the engine alumina). Use thick, dry gloves to avoid electrical shock or fix them otherwise. It does not mean too much if they fire outside, however a comparison of 1-4 vs 2-3 circuit firing the same plugs outside may provide some hint anyway.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

JimmyP

Postby JimmyP » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Luckily I have the original tool kit that came with the bike and the sparkplug tool will fit those two center plugs just right. Then it's just matter of using a phillips head screwdriver in the holes and they'll come right out, even with the tank still on. Not sure if this helps or not...

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:27 am

Yes, It helps to prove that it is worth to get the socket. Often tools that come with bikes are cheap and poor quality or not really suitable but the plug socket is very useful.

Buber

Postby Buber » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:41 am

I have 2 of those. And they WILL STAY in my shed... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:13 pm

I saw a thread once where someone suggested making the socket by forming a piece of thin-walled tubing around an old spark plug. I never tried it since I have the Honda toolkit, but it sounded like a good idea.

In a pinch that is. There's probably no long term substitute for the proper tool.
1980 CB650c

Infantry-Soldier

Postby Infantry-Soldier » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:12 pm

Well if anyone wants to get rid of an extra one.... *wink wink* I know someone who could use one! :P

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:34 am

Chris wrote:I saw a thread once where someone suggested making the socket by forming a piece of thin-walled tubing around an old spark plug.

I think I once suggested one can hammer a sheet of metal around a spark plug and fix it at the seam with welding dots to get something like a socket.
One might also cut in a suitable tube at one end and hammer the metal fins on a plug and give welding dots to fix them as a hexagon. :)

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks, Volker. I figured this was probably your idea, but I wasn't sure. You have a lot of good ideas :!:

Also, I've been seeing the Honda socket on eBay for around $10. Maybe $15 with shipping. Sure beats the previously mentioned $40. :wink:
1980 CB650c

5.4L to Freedom

Postby 5.4L to Freedom » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:17 am

I called my local Honda dealership and they sell the wrench for $7.50 if that helps any! You'll have to wait a little bit b/c it has to be shipped from Japan, but I dont thin thats a bad deal!
Dr. SOHC650... former rider I got sick of fixin my CB so I bought a Harley and fix everyone elses...

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:05 pm

Not bad at all. At that price maybe I should pick up a spare. :)
1980 CB650c

Return to “Technical Discussion”