New, cant find where tube goes

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

shortassrider

New, cant find where tube goes

Postby shortassrider » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:41 am

As with another fellow biker ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4036 ) I also cant find where a tube should be going, bike run fine when I got it but after a while it was just pants to start. now I nearly drain the battery trying to get it going. I can see the tube coming off the airbox and it comes up and lays over the carbs. I thought i was missing the 2 into 1 tubes like in the above post but cant see where they would go either. not sure about the various types of carbs there are so Dont know for sure which I have,they have VB embossed on one side if that means anything. the arrowed 1 is the fuel pipe and 2 is the loose pipe im trying to place. Any help appreciated.
Attachments
loose tube 2.jpg
loose tube 2.jpg (221.58 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
right side carb.jpg
right side carb.jpg (231.15 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
under carbs.jpg
under carbs.jpg (187.84 KiB) Viewed 12078 times

cb650

Re: New, cant find where tube goes

Postby cb650 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:17 am

U have the 81/82 CV carbs. 1 looks like it should be you fuel. 2 Looks like a vent maybe to the T's. Where do the other ends go?? And yes your missing the bowl tubes.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

shortassrider

Postby shortassrider » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:20 pm

1 is the fuel , I know that was just pointing it out lol, 2 comes off the bottom of the air box , just could get a pic to show that, m problem is if it should link to the bowl tubes, I cant see where they would locate? there is nowhere obvious at all ,top or bottom. when you say the t,s do you mean the t joint diverting the other two pipes?

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:06 pm

the vents for 1/2 and 3/4 come up to another t and that is where I think that should go. I dont see it in the pic so are they missing?

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:26 pm

between 1 and 2 there should be a T with a metal tube attached. Same with 3 and 4. Those tubes each have a hose off them that connect to the central T which would then connect to your #2.

Jason

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:28 pm

had mine off anyhow...

Jason

shortassrider

Postby shortassrider » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:37 am

I don't have those, becoming more confused. why would i not have these do you think?
Its the same on both sides. could this be why its such a bugger to start. Any recommendations short of replacing the carbs.
Attachments
carb T.jpg
carb T.jpg (198.3 KiB) Viewed 12401 times

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:58 am

Yes they should be there and yes might be why it starts hard. How long have u had this bike? Some guys swear you dont need them but I always had to put them in.

shortassrider

Postby shortassrider » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:33 am

Just around a year now, was fine when riding but started playing up over winter when in storage , i started her up every couple of weeks but took longer each time, now its just a bitch. iv also developed a rotor fault now to but not an electrical guy and don't know how to check it out properly. A section showing peeps how to check out and repair the most common problems with these machines would be a god send, with pics even better. looking like no bike riding this year.

Ouch

Postby Ouch » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:30 am

they are $30 each to buy and you will need 2. Any honda dealer should be able to sell them....online anyway! but some others on here ( :roll: CB650 :roll: ) has made one...if you ask nicely he may let you know how he did it?!?!?!?!!!?

shortassrider

Postby shortassrider » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:26 pm

If i bought the t pieces that fit directly to the carbs i can probably pic up the 2 to 1 piece from any motor-factors for around £3. is it simply take out the carbs separate each bowl insert t piece and reassemble. do i need any special tools or anything?.

Priced at £ 22.18 each + del from here. part 10 and 11
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb650c-1981- ... E++19.html

Kullin

Postby Kullin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:28 pm

I've read that pet stores have a t that fits well in the fish section.

Jason

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 am

shortassrider wrote:iv also developed a rotor fault now to but not an electrical guy and don't know how to check it out properly.

I guess your starting behavior might come back to the previous status as soon as you fix your electrical problem. You may verify by using a car battery for a try.

Another issue is to clean out the starter from inside and check out the connections of the power cables (including ground) to the battery, starter solenoid and starter. If one of them gets warm during starting, it should be replaced.

From page 16-4 on in the manual linked below you find instructions for the check of the charging system. The only important data not provided there is rotor resistance between sliprings. Should be 4-10Ohms. The rotor is the typical charging issue of the CB650, sometimes it fried also the regulator. So check out all components properly.

For some more info on charging problems just click on five arbitrary threads in the technical section. You certainly will hit at least one charging related by that. :roll:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

shortassrider

Postby shortassrider » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 am

I removed the stator and did check assuming im supposed to touch 2 yellow wires at a time. resistance are all the same but they read 1.3 as apposed to the specified resistance of 0.41 to 0.51 ohms. is this a good thing or bad. I noticed my generator rotor has a chip about 12 0r 13 mm of the edge , will this affect it at all. was lots of dirt inside ie bits of gasket ,mabe the generator too. rotor is a bit rusty as is between the coils of the stator. again will this affect starting or performance. I laso have one brush around 5 mm longer than the other ,but they both look long enough.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 am

Somewhere others and I have posted how we made the "T's".

Return to “Technical Discussion”