Engine noise! Need help!

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

AndrewCB650

Engine noise! Need help!

Postby AndrewCB650 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:45 pm

I have a 81 CB650 that makes a light clanking noise when in Neutral only. The bike starts up great and runs good. shifts through all gears okay but 1st to 2nd is a bit hard. Could this noise be something wrong in the clutch or transmission? I also noticed that sometimes when I'm in 1st and 2nd gear my neutral light goes in and out. I was going to change the oil and see if that helps first. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of the noise in Neutral only?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Attachments
034.jpg
034.jpg (271.32 KiB) Viewed 15150 times

cb650

Re: Engine noise! Need help!

Postby cb650 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:49 am

Adjust your clutch. They are noisy anyway.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:47 am

Like was said above, the clutch is pretty noisy. Does the sound get better when you pull the clutch lever?

If you don't know when the last oil change was, it is probably due.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

AndrewCB650

Postby AndrewCB650 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Yes, the noise goes away when the clutch lever is engaged. When in Neutral, it sounds like there's a bolt in there rattling around or something. I changed the oil and it's still making the noise, but only in Neutral or with the clutch engaged.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:03 pm

Did you adjust the clutch?

AndrewCB650

Postby AndrewCB650 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:18 pm

yes, I adjusted the clutch cable to have just a little play in it. It's a lot smoother shifting gears, however, this clanking noise persists. Should I pull the Plates out to check for warping, or perhaps inspect the Neutral stopper arm? It just sounds like something is grinding and chipping away. I'm not a mechanic but i'm willing to follow instruction/advice, I'd hate to bring the bike to a shop if I can do it myself. Thanks for the replies!

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Adjust the clutch also. Not just the cable.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:47 am

These bikes will break your bank if you try to take them to a shop--and that is if you are lucky enough to find someone who can work on one. It is not difficult to pull off the clutch cover for a visual inspection. Here is a link to a manual right here on this site. You will need a new gasket.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

AndrewCB650

Postby AndrewCB650 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:39 am

just ordered the clutch cover gasket, but i'm still not sure how to adjust the clutch.. the service manual only explains clutch cable adjustment. Thanks Guys

usbear

Postby usbear » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:34 pm

1) Remove the Center Cap on the Clutch Cover (looks Like a Big Screw Head).

(Inside will be a Shaft with a Adjuster Screw and a LOCK NUT)

2) Loosen Lock nut so Screw can be turned in.

3) Turn Adjuster Screw Clockwise until SLIGHT Resistance is felt. (IN)

4)Turn Counter-Clockwise 3/4 adjuster screw. (OUT)

5) Tighten Lock nut and reinstall Cap.

AndrewCB650

Postby AndrewCB650 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:16 pm

Thank you usbear, I will follow those steps next.
My new issue is now I can't find Neutral! I have not rock the bike back and forth to get in neutral, could this be part of the clutch adjustment issue or something else?? Thanks again guys

usbear

Postby usbear » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Well , if you have a bit of clutch pack wear or the adjuster screw has backed way off or the Lock Nut came lose and the Shaft Backed off, then it may not be releasing at all or very little at best.

You have a gasket ordered Correct?

Then after a clutch adjust, If no results; a quick Cover Removal is in order to Inspect Visually and see what you have. One Clutch Spring Loose or Broken would cause the problems you are having.

If the clutch is not completely releasing then it would be hard to find Neutral as well. I do not remember how many miles you have but when following someone else on these nice old bikes, miles do not mean all that much on these bikes.

I bought a cb650 dual overhead cam in Sacramento a few years ago off of E- Bay and had many phone calls with the seller before driving 10 hours to Get it.

Was told at least a Dozen times that riding on the freeway it just stopped running like it was out of gas.

When I picked it up it was Locked Up and I knew I was being lied to. I renegotiated the deal to cover my estimated repairs and when I pulled it apart at home I found the oil tubes and bolts laying inside the Valve cover on top of the cam.

Seller did not know how to assemble and tossed parts inside.

So do not take it personally we have all been there one way or another and you will know when you are finished but not until.

Mine was a Burned main Bearing,rod bearing and rod and a top end job and a crank replacement and it was a running machine again.

Maybe a easy adjust is all that is in order, then proceed to the next step as suggested above by others.
Good Luck Sir! Enjoy.

AndrewCB650

Postby AndrewCB650 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:26 pm

usbear wrote:1) Remove the Center Cap on the Clutch Cover (looks Like a Big Screw Head).

(Inside will be a Shaft with a Adjuster Screw and a LOCK NUT)

2) Loosen Lock nut so Screw can be turned in.

3) Turn Adjuster Screw Clockwise until SLIGHT Resistance is felt. (IN)

4)Turn Counter-Clockwise 3/4 adjuster screw. (OUT)

5) Tighten Lock nut and reinstall Cap.

If you're referring to that center flathead screw, it is nearly impossible to get off. If I pull the clutch cover I can adjust the clutch that way, right?
unless there's a trick to getting that center screw loose..
Thanks

usbear

Postby usbear » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Andrew: you can access and Inspect everything from There, BUT would have NOTHING To ADJUST AGAINST.

The Cover Needs to Be in Place to take the SLACK OUT (adjust). It is Just Taking up slack or Space Between the "Clutch Lifter Cam" and "Lifter Guide". Like Clutch Pedal "Freeplay" in a vehicle.

Lifter Cam,(arm) press's against a Lifter Guide(Short Rod W/Shoulder) Sitting Inside the Bearing, Sitting inside The Lifter Plate (pressure Plate).

The Description They use for lever,rod,and plate that pushes against the springs and allows the plates to release.

It is the Large Screw with a slot in it,( over 1 inch diameter), in front of the Oil Dip Stick and above the Clutch cable arm on Lifter Shaft.

If you can not get that off by Taping on it with a Hand Impact Driver to Break it loose or using a ratchet with a socket/with driver head for it, then You can remove the entire cover and inspect your Clutch Assembly.

Still Need to get the Large Slot Drive Inspection Cover/screw off, but could do it while the side cover is off.

A handful of parts inside,easy to inspect and adjust.

The Lifter Plate has 4 bolts through it and 4 springs underneath. A Bearing and Retainer and Lifter Guide.( Much Like a Throw out Bearing in a Standard Transmission Vehicle) .
If Someone ran with the cable to tight and wore the Bearing, or something came loose in there You can see it all and repair it from there. It should be Obvious at that point if you Clean and look around a
bit.

My description may be too wordy but when you see it you will understand how it works.

A Service Manual has Good Pictures in it so if you can locate some pics it will help you.
Last edited by usbear on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Errors

AndrewCB650

Postby AndrewCB650 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks for the help and instruction! I'm still waiting on my clutch gasket from the UK... I'll be getting into the clutch inspection once I get that gasket.

Return to “Technical Discussion”