starter

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

kemp2368

starter

Postby kemp2368 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:27 pm

hi all,is there a step by step procedure to service the starter motor??
as im finding that when i try to start once warm it turns over really slow then fires :?
but when i start it from cold it turns over fine
i read somewhere that you can take starter out and give it a clean etc,just wondered if there is a certain way of taking it out before i dive in and try it??
cb650z,1979

cb650

Re: starter

Postby cb650 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Its easy to take out.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:06 pm

http://cosky1.tripod.com/imagelib/siteb ... et=tlx_new
If you just follow those simple steps you can see in the page i linked you'll se it's pretty simpel operation. :wink:
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

kemp2368

Postby kemp2368 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39 pm

MEHall wrote:http://cosky1.tripod.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://cosky1.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/page18-02.jpg&target=tlx_new
If you just follow those simple steps you can see in the page i linked you'll se it's pretty simpel operation. :wink:

ok thanks that looks easy,thanks again :)
cb650z,1979

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:08 am

Slow turning at hot engine is a typical sign that your battery gets weaker. Although it may still crank like hell when cold.
In fact cleaning out the starter often can extend the lifetime of the battery for some time. Also check the cables and connections at the battery and the starter solenoid.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

kemp2368

Postby kemp2368 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Volker_P wrote:Slow turning at hot engine is a typical sign that your battery gets weaker. Although it may still crank like hell when cold.
In fact cleaning out the starter often can extend the lifetime of the battery for some time. Also check the cables and connections at the battery and the starter solenoid.

thanks for that,im thinking it will be the battery ,as normally have to charge it up once a week weather i ride or not
but wont hurt to give the starter a clean out as ive not done it and only had it for a year
cb650z,1979

kemp2368

Postby kemp2368 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Volker_P wrote:Slow turning at hot engine is a typical sign that your battery gets weaker. Although it may still crank like hell when cold.

i have taken the starter out and cleaned etc and it looks good
had the multimeter on the battery and this is what it reads what do people think battery??
standing 12.6v
starting drops to 9.6v
tickover 13.3
revs over 2000rpm 14.8v
all thoughts would be good :D
thanks
cb650z,1979

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:45 am

This battery might still survive this summer.
For the end of summer just in case: If your legs are long enough, you may start it when hot by pushing it with your feet while sitting on it and then engage the clutch in second gear. :lol:

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

tkfromla49

Postby tkfromla49 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Starter related and this thread established, here's a twist: couple of days ago, when I pulled in to park, I noticed that the neutral light did not come on when I shifted of gear, I clicked it up and down to no avail, so went on into the grocery store and upon return, had complete silence/deadness when I turned the switch and hit the start button. Calling my mechanic, he said try bridging the wire terminals at the solenoid with a screwdriver. voila - got it started and home. The neutral lamp still failed to light. I gave it a days rest, and then started w/something simple - checking to see if my neutral bulb was burned out. Removing the cover and inspecting proved negative. For kicks, I exchanged a couple of the bulbs. Then I turned the key and low and behold, all lights burned brightly - and the bike started w/o further difficulty!!! What's up w/this mystery :? Mr. V?

PS: I've also had that hot-start low-turnover issue, but my charging system has been thoroughly checked, some parts replaced, cleaned, etc. (haven't cleaned the starter motor). My battery is +/- one year old and trickled charged during winter months. I does not seem to be the problem.
FogDog

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:42 am

First aid: pull the clutch and it should start again.

The starter won't turn if either the transmission is in neutral or the clutch is pulled. Probably your neutral switch does not work any more. Remove the sprocket cover to find one cable going to the oil pressure switch and another single cable to something black, oily, undefined above it. Pull that cable and hold its end to the case to verify that you have green light then.
If not, check the fuse. As the oil and neutral light share one fuse, you should have no oil pressure light , too.
If yes, clean that black thing that comes out of the transmission. You will find that it is black plastic with a metallic contact that is probably heavily covered with black grease. Clean it out and make sure that the clamp at the cable connector has contact to the plastic part with the contact. Plug on the cable to verify that your neutral light works again during shifting before you mount the sprocket cover again.

Return to “Technical Discussion”