Tires

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

bernard

Tires

Postby bernard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Got a 82 cb 650 just want to get an idea of the best tires for it. i live in upstate NY and the weather changes w/ the wind. it's winter now can't ride but want to be set for spring. I want a soft tire that gets good traction and good in wet weather. Checked out these shinko but has mixed reveiws wher ever i look

Volker_P

Re: Tires

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:49 am

Welcome here! :D
Tires are not that critical for a CB650 because rather the old, bad chassis is the restriction. However hard, old tires are dangerous because the rear brake tends to easy blocking and often you don't realize blocking until you release the brake again and may need some width of road for corrections then.
Never tried myself (German motorcycle tire regulations are still just crazy), but the Bridgestone BT45 is often recommended as a nice solution for bikes of that time.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

bernard

Postby bernard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:52 am

i am not sure what you mean by blocking. i know the rear brakes lock up pretty easy if you stomp them.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:31 am

Yes, that's what I tried to say. :roll:

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

bernard

Postby bernard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:45 am

ok thanks

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 pm

I got some Dunlap 404's and I love them they were both affordable and they grip very well , I now have around 10,500 miles on them and they still look like they can go 10,000 more of course I don't tend to ride like a crazy man.
I try to keep it below 80mph most the time.
I do try to take as many twisty roads as I can and the tires have served me well. around 5,000 miles were with the wife riding with me as well.
The tires seem to grip almost as well in the rain as in the dry.
although I don't tend to be as crasy in the rain as when it is dry.
I also ride in the winter as long as it is not raining and even in the 4 deg F temps they seem to grip pretty well.
Hope this helps you in some way.
A>
<A

bernarda

Postby bernarda » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:25 am

I had to change my name to bernarda to log on after forgetting password. I ended up buying some Kenda tires. they were inexpensive and i am on a budget w/ this bike. thanks for the advice though.

DavidT

Postby DavidT » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:13 am

Hi, new to the group here. Been riding for a few years. Picked up a '79 CB650 recently - anxious to get it on the road. need new tires. will probably end up getting Dunlop 404s. will a 110/90-18 work on the rear ? i see orig size was a 17... is an 18 too big ? nice to see a CB650 group online here. thnx for the input !
David

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:39 am

Welcome here, David! :D
the last number is the (nominal) rim diameter in inches. This means this value has to be kept in any case to get the tire on the rim reasonably. A 18" tire will not fit a 17" rim, only width and height may be varied.
To get an idea what the whole number stuff means, have a look at e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

DavidT

Postby DavidT » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:32 am

Hi Volker !

Oops - sorry about that. (I shouldn't post questions while I'm rushing around in a hurry. :oops: Was also looking at the wife's bike tire sizes.)

Will a 130/90 - 17 work on the '79 CB650 ? Is the 130 tire too wide ?

I wondered what size of Dunlops arcangel used.

Looks like a friendly bunch, with very helpful input & advice.

Thanks again ! :D
David

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:28 am

130/90-16 is the standard rear tire size for the Custom model. However there is a cutout in the chain guard for it. Maybe that cutout is not urgently necessary, but it would come out close.
Larger rim means larger radius where the swing arm already gets narrower (however standard and Custom swing arms are different). So I guess that's something to measure. Note that also actual dimensions may vary slightly from nominal dimensions from brand to brand.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 pm

How be it late sorry!

My tire sizes for the CB650C are
front 110/90-19
rear 130/90-16

I got around 12,000 miles out of the rear and I am still riding on the front it is at around 18,000 miles on it so far.

Hope this helps some one.
again sorry I was late with the answer.
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:36 am

arcangel wrote:I got around 12,000 miles out of the rear.
From a new tire? What brand? I think I get not much more than 4,000mls.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:31 pm

D404s but the roads may be better around here I stay off the gravel most of the time. a large part of my miles are highway 55mph - 70mph
I do like the curves and I do take a lot of roads posted at 15mph at 25-30mph for what that is worth but most of that ware is on the edges and they still had some more ware just the middle was getting thin.
I am still riding on the 1st new front tire i got it has around 18,000 on it so far but it is getting thin as well maybe around 4 k left befor I have to change it as well.
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 am

Volker_P wrote:Tires are not that critical for a CB650 because rather the old, bad chassis is the restriction.
Thats what I thought all the time. After getting rid of this crazy tire restrictions, I tried a modern tire this time (from Dunlop K527 to Continental Conti Go). Only rear for now, but the result is amazing. Bike handles quite different in corners, there is stability in every banking angle. No need for precise throttle usage and no loss of direction and stability after a bump in the road any more. Especially helpful for beginners or those who often ride with others. So don't get tire types that were sold already say 15 years ago or even longer.
Now I have a girls bike! :lol:

Return to “Technical Discussion”