Timing Chain Tensioner lower screw

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Cozy

Timing Chain Tensioner lower screw

Postby Cozy » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:21 pm

Hey All,

Can't find any topics on this specific issue so was wondering what y'alls thoughts are. My cam chain tensioner lower screw is unthreaded, is there a way to push this back in without having to take the cylinder heads and jugs out?

IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 8703 times

IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 8703 times
Attachments
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 8703 times

Volker_P

Re: Timing Chain Tensioner lower screw

Postby Volker_P » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:46 am

Welcome here! :D
Have a look at this great photo by Ibsen:
The screw in the center (just above the top of the alternator cover in the picture) is fixed by two clips from the steel rail so it should not go inside that far as in your case.
The copper washer in your picture indicates that the nut was probably there some time ago. The surface does not indicate a broken bolt, therefore I think it still has its length. Basically it should be fine if you are able to pull back the screw far enough to fix the nut again.
But no idea how, maybe a strong magnet is an option.
Note that this bolt fixes a moving part inside. If this went out of position, the bolt might not like to come out any more.
Anyway worth a try.
One could even try to get a welding electrode "cemented" to the stud as a last try before you open the engine.
Possibly it helps to loosen the upper bolt a bit but of course things might become worse by that, too.

There is only one thing that I can say for sure: I really do not envy you! :roll:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”