1st bike

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

anthonym147

1st bike

Postby anthonym147 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:07 am

Hey everyone,
I just got a 1980 Honda cb650. I've never owned a bike before and I was wondering what are some things I should check and possibly replace before riding. Also if anyone has any helpful maintenance tips, I am all ears. Thank you

Volker_P

Re: 1st bike

Postby Volker_P » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:16 am

Welcome here! :D

first issue to check is if there is enough oil in the engine. I would change the oil with filter soon in any case. Engine should be warm for that. Then look what came out with the oil.
Age of tires might be an issue. They get hard with time and slippery especially at cold and wet roads. 7 years is a reasonable number for a limit but it depends on sunlight and other conditions.
Of course brakes and cables should be in reasonable conditions. Lubricate the cables just to be sure.
It is also worth to find time to check and clean all the electric connectors of the wiring as electric issues are annoying and the wiring harness is about 40 years old.
You also should verify that the tank is clean inside before you go riding as removing the carbs for cleaning is no fun. A fine enough inline fuel filter is a good idea.
Replace the plugs to be on the safe side and keep the old ones as spare.
I also would check all bolts, in particular related to chassis, engine and brakes.
Drive chain should be not too tight.
Steering bearings should be free but not too loose. Check with front wheel off the ground.
When you go on your first ride, listen to suspicious noises and check if all four header pipes get equally hot.
An old airhead engine needs some time to get warm. And you should be easy on the throttle until the engine is warm.
The CB650 needs some revs and can stand it when it is warm. You do not have full oil pressure below 3000rpm so do not try to accelerate or ride at load at that low rpm.

That's what I remember for now, no guarantee for completeness. :wink:

Have fun! :D
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

anthonym147

Re: 1st bike

Postby anthonym147 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:37 am

thanks alot this is all very helpful

Return to “Technical Discussion”