1981 CB659 Petcock

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Wildeyed216

1981 CB659 Petcock

Postby Wildeyed216 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:05 pm

Hi,

First post..... Working on getting bike recently picked up running. Petcock filter tube broken or disintegrated. Oem rivet. I saw plenty of kits available, but not seeing tube. How does tube attach? I'm always down with keeping original when I can. Is this thing worth rebuilding or are the $10 replacements all over the web, or $80 oem replacement the way to go. Thanks!

Dan

Volker_P

Re: 1981 CB659 Petcock

Postby Volker_P » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:49 am

Welcome here! :D

Not sure about the filter, I think it is just plugged in to the petcock or fixed by a rim at the bung opening. It might not come out with the petcock in the latter case.

Note that the tank petcock thread is different for different years/models, see e.g. post #7 at: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11392&p=78124

According to many experiences in this forum the (original) filter screen that you are missing is not fine enough to avoid carb issues.
So whatever you decide to do, be sure you have a really clean tank or/and use an additional inline filter.
Not sure if it is practicable to use a much finer tank filter screen instead.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”