neutral switch stays on...

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Tommysparta

neutral switch stays on...

Postby Tommysparta » Thu May 16, 2019 4:14 pm

1982 CB 650. Suddenly my neutral switch is always on. When the bike is in neutral the light is bright, when I put the bike in gear it dims a bit. The bike will start in gear, out of gear, clutch in, or out. It all started last week when I disengaged the clutch, put it in gear and it lunged forward with the clutch still disengaged. The oil light seems to be operating properly. The wires seem to be OK. Is there a way to check the switch inside the gear box that is simple?

GeorgeSweety

Re: neutral switch stays on...

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat May 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi, the only time I have ever had a problem with the neutral light on all the time was when I trapped the wire between the engine casing and side cover, I managed to put a tiny nick in the insulation.

Tommysparta

Postby Tommysparta » Sun May 19, 2019 1:50 pm

I think you are right!. I removed the side cover and didn't see the neutral switch, only the chain sprocket. I wasn't about to go any further. Just for grins I checked that all wires were clear and the wire connections were tight. I turned on the ignition and put it in gear and the light went out. GREAT!
seems to be OK now. Thank you for your response. Seems that the simplest solution is usually the best. Thanks again!

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Wed May 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks for getting back to us Tommy, its really good for everyone to know that a problem can be solved with team work, we're all just guy's/gal's trying to keep these old buggers running.

Return to “Technical Discussion”