If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

larsenpedersen

Crazy idling and bad 1st gear

Postby larsenpedersen » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:54 am

Hi guys,

I'm having two small problems with with my CB650 (RCo3):

Problem 1
When I want to start the bike, I pull the choke all the way out and push the starter - The bike starts fine, but after 5-10 seconds it suddenly goes from 1500-2000 RPM to 4000-5000 RPM. I try to regulate the choke, but if the bike isn't warm, it just dies. I know it's a cold-blooded beast, but idling at 4k RPM sounds crazy. Any suggestions?

Problem 2
When I finally get the bike warmed up and goes for a spin, it has a hard time starting in 1st gear - If I don't give a bit of throttle it dies, and if I give too much throttle it dies too. Could this have something to do with the adjusting and cleaning the carburetors?

I'm probably bad at explaining this, but please ask if this is total gibberish.
Recently bought a Honda CB650

DJAcidice

Re: Crazy idling and bad 1st gear

Postby DJAcidice » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:06 pm

So I don't know too much about these bikes so far as I just got my first, but I will say that it doesn't seem right to idle around 4k rpm unless the choke is all the way up, which even then seems high IMO, my choke all the way reaches 2.5k-3k. I would wait for a response on the first question but I just wanted to give my 2 cents.
For part 2, my sweet spot for my 1st gear is between 3 to 4k rpm. If I try to go off the line under that, it stalls and dies. But if I start between there and let the clutch off slowly/regulate the release, it goes of the line like butter!

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Sounds like the carbs and tank need a good cleaning. Mostly the idle jets.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

larsenpedersen

Postby larsenpedersen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:11 pm

DJAcidice wrote:So I don't know too much about these bikes so far as I just got my first, but I will say that it doesn't seem right to idle around 4k rpm unless the choke is all the way up, which even then seems high IMO, my choke all the way reaches 2.5k-3k. I would wait for a response on the first question but I just wanted to give my 2 cents.
For part 2, my sweet spot for my 1st gear is between 3 to 4k rpm. If I try to go off the line under that, it stalls and dies. But if I start between there and let the clutch off slowly/regulate the release, it goes of the line like butter!

Thank you for the reply - I'll just have to get the know the bike better :)

cb650 wrote:Sounds like the carbs and tank need a good cleaning. Mostly the idle jets.

Thanks, cb650 - As I also mentioned, I think that the carbs could need a good cleaning. Why also the tank?
Last edited by larsenpedersen on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:55 pm

so you dont put shit back in clean carbs.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

larsenpedersen

Postby larsenpedersen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:42 pm

cb650 wrote:so you dont put shit back in clean carbs.

That makes sense - Thanks! :)

Return to “Technical Discussion”