Need Carb boots for 650..where?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

geesevs

Need Carb boots for 650..where?

Postby geesevs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:09 pm

I recently got a 79 cb 650 and I'm having a really hard time finding some carb boots. The ones that are on are pretty much disintegrating.

side note... The carbs are a real pain to take off and put on...

cb650

Re: Need Carb boots for 650..where?

Postby cb650 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:09 pm

I bought some from honda 10 years ago. Dont know if they still offer them or at what $$$$.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

buzz

Postby buzz » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:21 pm

try bikebandit.com
spray silicon in the boots before you install them. it helps a lot.
and yes, they are a pain to pull/install. people have used carpenter's clamps and cut to size 2X4's to install the carbs.

geesevs

Postby geesevs » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:22 am

do you know the official name for them? Im looking at bikebandit and they have alot of parts but I can't tell from the pictures....
I only see the full air cleaner chamber.

pae

Postby pae » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:51 am

Do you mean the rubber tubes that connect the carbs to the cylinder head? If so you can get from the David Silver in the UK. They're very good and reliable, although can be a bit pricey for some items.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

They don't list them on the website, but I emailed an enquiry a couple of years ago and they quoted £8 each plus postage. If you are in the US you'll probably need to add customs at the US end. They reckon it's about 2.5% of order plus $5 so not a lot of money overall.

Anyway, this was 2 years ago, but it might be worth emailing them for latest prices and stock.

Phil

buzz

Postby buzz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:24 pm

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 79/o/m9572

that should take you to the "cylinder head" schematic on bikebandit.

you want part number 5. $21 - wow! - not cheap! and that's assuming you want the carb to cylinder head boots. they're much cheaper for my '82.

this also assumes you are in the US. if you are in Europe, do as Phil suggests with david silver spares.

EDIT: just checked that link. you'll have to scroll down to "cylinder head".

geesevs

Postby geesevs » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:37 pm

THANK YOU! and holy crap $21 per!! thats alot. I think it might be cheaper to get them from the uk...

pae

Postby pae » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:30 am

yes, that's the bits I had, Carb Insulators. I'm sure that's what David Silver called them. I bought a set, they're genuine Honda parts.

They fit easily too as they have some flex in them (unlike my old set that had gone solid with age) and also what feels like silicone coating so they fit nice and easy. Good job too, with the number of times I've had the carbs off!

Phil

Buber

Postby Buber » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:26 am

There is (as usual) a cheapo solution. Did it on my bike, and it works - still :D

Take an old boot, or take a measure of length and inner diameter. Go to any car parts store and look for a reinforced coolant hose. I found one with close diameter, cut it to pieces, and installed it. Never looked back. Cost was peanuts.
Of course it's not the same as originals, but frankly, the only difference is a ring inside, that makes the passage flush (when with originals). With DIY solution there MAY be a turbulence in mixture, but I didn't noticed any bad effects..
This is a good solutions, at least until you find cheaper original ones.. :D

Good luck!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:03 am

Welcome here! :D
as later CB650 models may have CV carbs with different diameter be careful what you get. For the coolant hose solution you need real stiff ones as they also provide the main mechanical support only from the engine side.
Especially in winter, heating the carb boots with a hairdryer is quite helpful. Note that the airbox side boots are excentric and may be turned until they can be quite easily be fit correctly.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

my79650

Postby my79650 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:57 am

Hi there as i am new to the forum; i am going to try Buber's solution on my 79 cb650 as well; tore #3 isolator taking off when i did top end gaskets and head swap; got a used head complete for $100 valves and all after i had cracked mine installing the valve cover; damn those little bolts; i put a long one in where a short one went on the end and snap; live and learn; so now at least i have spare valves and springs etc. Bike runs; backfires on #3 due to split in isolator; i put on a pile of sealer compound for gaskets to try to close up the gap enough to at least run to check for bad valve seals; turns out my engine doesn't smoke; great compression; only thing is i didn't get any pictures of teardown and replacement. Got the closest hose i could find for temporary (maybe permanent) solution. Also i have a small roll of exhaust hanger strap that i am going to use to take weight of the carbs off the hose to level it up as much as i can. You will love this; had to redneck the choke as i broke the plastic part the cable hooks to. I fiddled with the springs enough to reach my fingers in to trip the choke; started no problem; idled up and down as to split issue; did the test with propane just #3 doing it; at least backfiring blew a lot of crap out of my muffler. I was able to tie on a piece of thin haywire so i can pull my choke open and tie off by clutch cover so it won't flood to death. Should i heat up the rad hose a little before i install to create a better seal; it should let it shrink down some since i got real clamps to use? Will post a picture of my bike on here eventually; she's old; a little dirty; but she's a nice ride all the same; also my mileage is 53,000k plus for my work done; didn't have to put in rings; a good thing lol. This pic of my machine is a year old; vetter saddlebags and trunk came off of goldwing; great for work and boots and the rain gear as its a daily driver.
Attachments
046.jpg
046.jpg (77.47 KiB) Viewed 11193 times

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:42 am

Welcome here! :D
Sounds like you know how to help yourself in any situation. Have fun!
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

my79650

Postby my79650 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:50 am

Hi everyone; as for now i am able to put the rad hose replacement idea on the side; i was able to get 4 used carb isolators for my bike for $20; they are used but better shape than my originals; i am going to try a little experiment; going to boil some water and drop one in it for a while to see if it softens it up any before i re-install onto my machine. It may or may not work; while i'm doing that; since my choke cable hookup is broke; i had the idea of using the haywire that i tied onto it before; looping it around the end of the actual cable so in theory it should still allow me to control it at the handlebars. Will post my results after.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:01 am

On sohc4 someone was expermenting with boilig water and wintergreen oil.
Plus a few other items.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Return to “Technical Discussion”