won't start after a ride

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

robsy

won't start after a ride

Postby robsy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:23 am

Gentlemen,

I'm stumped on this, and I'm not sure if it relates to your "won't start when hot" thread, so I'll just explain it and apologize if it's redundant.

I picked up an 81 cb650c in January and have been working on it since. New battery, new plugs, fresh gas and everything else you suggested here. It starts well in my garage with a little throttle priming, takes a little warming, then runs beautifully to wherever I want to go. The last few outings have left me stranded, because once I get to my destination, I can't seem to start it again. Starter turns but it just won't catch. On some of these occasions, I've put it on a charger and within minutes it will go again. Back home, it sits in my garage for the night, then starts fine again in the morning. I've done a fifty mile loop, no stopping, parked in my garage and it's fine.

This time when I tried to get it going, I got a new symptom. After several attempts to start it, gas started to flow from the crankcase breather near the centerstand. When the battery drained from trying to start, I parked it and walked to a rental place for a car.

I tested the battery charging system about a week ago and got a reasonable reading of voltage coming back to the battery. It doesn't make sense to me that just five minutes on a charger will get it going.

I'm about to take it to a dealer for trade, but I'm going to lose my shirt on it - any suggestions before I go the distance? I can't trust this bike.

cb650

Re: won't start after a ride

Postby cb650 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:37 am

If the starter turn but wont catch sounds like something in the starter clutch. Where you at?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

robsy

Postby robsy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:50 am

If it is the starter clutch, which I'm not ruling out, why does it happen intermittently, and only when I get to my destination? I'll look into it... I'm in Canada - Windsor area.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm fighting one now that the starter clutch comes and goes. Its had who knows what or how many diff brands of oil or when changed could be all kinds of sludge in it.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Maybe when your oil gets hot it jams the starter clutch. If everything has turned out OK then that is the only thing left to doubt. I think there is a thread somewhere regarding servicing of the starter clutch without removing the engine. But you should wait somebody might have an easier guess and that might be the problem. Certainly dependent on how hot the oil gets.

In your original post you said that after putting the battery on charger it starts again. What exactly do you mean by that? Like you go out for a ride come back home and then restart it again and it does not start. You then take the battery out and charge it for how long before you retry? Does your engine cool down? that could be a hint.

Buber

Postby Buber » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:36 am

I've been through starter clutch few times. There's a good topic on this forum about it, with photos and all.
My 2 cents - when engine gets hot (not oil, it's about engine in general) the metal expands, that it, the little push pins that push the rollers in the clutch will swell a little. Add to it older springs behind, and there you go. It may be just one of those push-pins but that will be enough for clutch to slip.
now, when you put it on the charger, you give engine a break. That it, you look for the charger, plug it in, wait some time, and you have already engine cooling for 10 minutes which may be just enough. Try it without charging, that is, just give it a break for 10-15 minutes. And see.
This way or the other, it's time for the starter clutch overhaul, which (having the spare parts ready) takes 3 hours.

Good luck.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Looks like the starter clutch topic woke you up, Buber. Welcome back! :lol:

Just to be sure:
Starter clutch slipping results in starter turning at hearable unusual high rpm without turning the engine.
If it is not like that and together with the spilling, I'd assume a flooding problem (leaky floater valves).

If your legs are long enough and your CB starts all right when hot, you may start it sitting on your CB by doing a few steps with your legs to get it moving just a bit, then engage the clutch in 2nd gear and immediately release it again. That's my usual weak battery solution until I can convince myself that I really need a new one. :D
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Buber

Postby Buber » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:52 am

Volker_P wrote:Looks like the starter clutch topic woke you up, Buber. Welcome back! :lol:

yeah, been busy with family matters... and was testing (still in my shed :lol: ) CB1300... fantastic bike :D

Jump starting is very easy, especially when engine is warm. it will start no problem.

Good luck!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:36 am

Congratulations. Must be a quite large shed. :lol:
Hope you nevertheless look in here sometimes.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Buber

Postby Buber » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:53 am

By all means, of course! It's not mine.. YET! I think next year it will be mine. So far I'm just servicing it, and that gives me access to a ride or two. The torque is GRRREAT! Fuel consumption too :roll:

There is no point in selling my CB as it will fetch ridiculous price, and mine is in a pretty good shape, so.. I don't think I will be selling it.. I will keep it, an done day when I will be filthy rich it will go apart and will be restored to fantastic polish! :D

And to finish the off-top - here's a picture of a pretty CB...

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:06 am

All right, this was a misunderstanding.
From "testing in the shed" I thought you already have the bike but still wait for documents for finally licensing and go on the road officially.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Now that is some snow!
A>
<A

Return to “Technical Discussion”