1980 CB650C Restoration Overview

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Rocket Man

1980 CB650C Restoration Overview

Postby Rocket Man » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:11 pm

7000 miles and a few problems later, I am on the road with a s**t eatin grin :D . After clearing up the coil and spark plug lead age issues, I went all out to eliminate the carburetor air valve problems (super small and inaccessible holes). JB weld does the trick.

Carb threads:
viewtopic.php?f4&t=8781&hilit=tooth+picks

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9016

Timing chain tensioner thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74

After riding the CB puppy for awhile, I just couldn't live with the cloud of burnt oil smoke that wafted by now and then after coming to a stop. My guess is the bike was never properly broken in. Compression was below 100 psi, plus the head o-rings were leaking as is typical- ugly ugly. Here is a quick ride through the process I took to change the rings...

While you are at it, throw those green o-rings that come with the Althea gasket set from Italy into the valve guide inserts. Still getting some valve leakage and oil smoke on hard compression braking.

Good news is that after the first gas refill I went from 35ish to 49mpg. Niice
Attachments
online2.jpg
Probably a good idea to blast the engine before tearing it apart. Snap a used ring (very sharp) and scrape away the crud. Then I really cleaned the threads for the head bolts and had to deal with one that was particularly dirty and stubborn.
online2.jpg (332.46 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
online3.jpg
Then the old dragster trick, a roll-pin in the oil passage to avoid that common "ugly" 0-ring leak. I installed the head without the tensioner to make it easier and then had to drop the pan to be positive the timing-chain tensioner was in the right spot (good idea to clean it anyway).
online3.jpg (307.96 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
overview.jpg
With signs of burning oil in the exhaust ports and a humble shop, you 2 can be on the road again with 'minimal' effort.
overview.jpg (261.89 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Last edited by Rocket Man on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Folsoml

Re: 1980 CB650C Restoration Overview

Postby Folsoml » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:03 am

Nice! Great job!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “Technical Discussion”