My 2008 Bike Trip to Mt. Washington PART 2

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Chris

My 2008 Bike Trip to Mt. Washington PART 2

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:52 pm

PART 2

We woke just before dawn and I took a walk down to the lakeshore to greet the morning. It was chilly and damp and there was fog on the lake. Sometimes it was difficult to see over into Vermont, but I was able to take a few nice pictures. As the sun rose, I could tell it was going to be another beautiful day.
BikeTrip2008 004.jpg
Morning fog on Lake Champlain. 11Sept.2008
BikeTrip2008 004.jpg (54 KiB) Viewed 4031 times

BikeTrip2008 005.jpg
Sunrise on Lake Champlain. 11Sept.2008
BikeTrip2008 005.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 4031 times

We tried to give our tents time to dry, but finally gave up, rolled them damp and we were on our way. On the other side of the bridge, the road forked and we went left on Vt 17W. We soon stopped for fuel, coffee and a breakfast sandwich and I immediately remembered that my Stepson had told me most of the gas stations in VT/NH sell only the low octane 'regular' fuel. That didn't bother me much, but Dad doesn't run low octane in his Harley. I don't think he can because it was modified by the PO. So we had to go looking for a station that sold higher octane. That's something to keep in mind when you're modifying your bikes and you plan on traveling far from your regular gas stations. :wink:
Now, there's this awesome stretch of Rt17 that becomes a series of very exciting switchbacks up into the mountains between Jerusalem and Irasville. THAT was a blast! When we got to the top at Appalachian Gap between the Stark Mountains there was a pull-off where we stopped and took pictures of the view looking back the way we came.
BikeTrip2008 006.jpg
Appalachian Gap, Stark Mountains, Vermont, USA looking east.
BikeTrip2008 006.jpg (82.65 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

A hiker there said that someone told him they ride bicycles up this road for training. I say that even in the best cycling days of my youth I don't think I would have tried. :shock: That's what SOHC 4's are for. :lol:
Back down off the mountain in Irasville we came to the junction of routes 17 and 100 and I stopped at a bicycle shop to borrow some lube for my screaming tach. The staff at the bicycle shop was very friendly and helpful. He had an early eighties motorcycle of his own from one of those other Japanese manufacturers inside. I can't remember if it was a Kawasaki or a Yamaha, but I'm pretty sure it was a 650. Then we took a left turn onto 100(N?). We stayed on 100 up to Waterbury and then found Rt.2 which runs parallel to I89 from Waterbury to Montpelier. In Montpelier we got on 302 and headed for the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Just past Twin Mountain, NH we turned right onto Zealand Rd and looked at campsites in Sugarloaf Campground. We had heard along the way that a freeze was expected this night and decided to see what kind of lodging would be available nearer our destination. I did take a picture of our bikes parked near a big rock at the campground.
Then we got back onto 302 and followed it to Bretton Woods. We stopped at a gas station just before the Base Station Rd. and found out about lodging and the schedule for the cog railway that goes up to the summit of Mt. Washington. It was getting late in the afternoon, so we hurried back about 1/4mi. to a motel, got a room, unloaded our gear and headed up the Base Station Rd. to the cog railway station. We got there just in time to catch the last train going up that day. If you ever get the chance, the cog railway at Mt. Washington is a wonderful experience.
You can read more about it at http://www.thecog.com/ . We couldn't have asked for better weather either. There's also a road going up the east side of the mountain, but I hear it can be quite treacherous and not nearly as cool as riding the world's first mountain-climbing cog railway. But you would have more time on the summit if you didn't have to worry about catching the train back down. Especially since ours was the last train going back down the mountain that day. There's more about Mt. Washington (which holds the world record for wind speed) at http://www.mountwashington.com/ .
Back at the base, we spent some time in the museum and gift shop and then headed back to the motel, stopping for food at that same gas station we stopped at before (it had a deli and general store inside).Once again I slept soundly right through the night.

To be continued...
1980 CB650c

Volker_P

Re: My 2008 Bike Trip to Mt. Washington PART 2

Postby Volker_P » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:43 am

Great pictures, nice story. Thanks for sharing! :D
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

5.4L to Freedom

Postby 5.4L to Freedom » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:02 pm

Those are beautiful pictures, and thank you for sharing! The only legitimate question I have is why on earth would you wear a full face on such a nice ride! The wind in your face is over half of the feeling of complete freedom IMO. If it's a bit nippy, bandanna over the ears and neoprene if you just can't handle the cold!

In your area do you have to wear a helmet... I've made it a point to move to a state after school where I can ride with my hair a blowin. There is nothing like going down a back road, setting your helmet in your lap, and just being one with the road.

No helmet, no gloves, stupid as hell but there's a reason we do it!
Dr. SOHC650... former rider I got sick of fixin my CB so I bought a Harley and fix everyone elses...

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:36 pm

Go ahead and ride without a helmet. I'll defend your right to choose. But there are other people people in my own world who are counting on me being safe. I even just became a Grandpa this past summer. That and I really don't like bumping my head anymore. :wink:
1980 CB650c

Return to “General Discussion”