Ouch!

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Volker_P

Re: Ouch!

Postby Volker_P » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:23 am

Finally I felt allright to start working on my CB again.
First I checked out what was really damaged besides the obvious parts. Brake disks measured 3/100mm slag which seems allright. Front rim has 0.8mm, I will leave it like that unless I really feel it during riding. But it is not complete yet. Surprisingly frame is optically straight now, there was a minor bending that obviously vanished from the crash. 8)
Basic problem was the bent forks. The pictures below show it before and after straightening. I stopped not before I was unsure which direction to bend to next. So forks are nearly perfectly straight, but cross section suffered a bit. One can make better wooden holders to avoid this. Here are forks before and after straightening:

For those who are interested. This is my proven non-commercial fork bender who did this job:

In case you want to try out this yourself, don't use a hydraulic jack. It won't work in horizontal orientation and if it does, it will contain a lot of air which can expand when something breaks under load. May gives a steel torpedo to hurt you seriously. :!: You also should be sure that the cellar walls of your home are solid enough. One of these five concrete bricks in the picture cracked and I do not think the CB650 fork is a very strong one.

Now except for the exhaust, everything is fixed and checked at least for riding again, although there is still much to improve. I guess I will do a test ride the next time but I still do not really feel like riding again. My healing progress is very good, but I am still unsure how to continue about motorcycles.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Cool set up! Glad your alright.

Terry

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:44 am

Wow, great job on straightening the fork!
1980 CB650c

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:08 am

To provide a status after my holiday:
I am fine and my CB is rideable again and runs straight, however the electrics somewhere inside the lamp is damaged. At least I do not guess that switching off the ignition by knocking on the headlight is a useful feature. :roll:
The front wheel wobble is visible when standing on the footpegs. As you also feel the front being "nervous" a bit, I will have to center this wheel.
I did not really enjoy my test trip and so the future is still unsure. As my CB is automatically unregistered from October to March anyway, next spring one will see if and how my motorcycle career continues.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Well I must say I came close to falling lets see around 10 times it the huricane. I for one don't want to find out what crashing feels like.

I am glad to here you are feeling better Volker
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:20 am

Thanks! As this happened in August 2007, my bike and myself are well again besides some additional scratches on both of us. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

soos

Postby soos » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:45 am

Well since your bike will be unregistered at least you will have a reason and time to figure out the headlight problem you have.

And straightening a fork like that...man I thought i did some crazy things!
Good to hear it works!!
Even better to hear you didn't get too hurt.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-

gdongarra

Postby gdongarra » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:55 am

Good recovery,,,

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:24 pm

I could not help reading this thread again. I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago and I am still sore from the crash but I just refuse to stop riding Maybe I should I only have 925 miles on the bike and I crashed already maybe it's a sign?
well glad to see you have not given up riding I value your conversation and friend ship as it is. on line only I would rather have you here to ride with joke with . hum and it would be nice to have a good free mechanic near by. :lol:
But you are a big part on this forum and probably more of the reason I come back here than most.
So keep up the good work Volker

OK Volker I'M done blowing smoke up your rear.
Get back to work surely theirs someone on here you can help so quit loafing around here and get to it.! :lol:
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:22 am

It is certainly a sign that you risk level is too high. The CB650 chassis is difficult, which makes the CB no suitable beginners bike from the rideability point of view. You need time to get used to it. Bicycle practice does not mean much. Riding my CB is completely different from riding my dirtbike which really rides like a bicycle. Keep that in mind and don't take too much risk. And never care for others on newer bikes that are faster. They usually still have more reserves then than an old CB.

arcangel wrote:...
Get back to work surely theirs someone on here you can help so quit loafing around here and get to it.! :lol:

Reading that comes as a great relief to me. The sugar and honey text before that made me already fear you are going to send me your engine for a free overhaul! :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Now that an Idea Why didn't I think of that!

volker p
Good Buddy O bosom Pal, Oh friend of mine, your a scholar and a gentle man to make such a gracious offer .......... man what can I say...........
offering to rebuild my bike engine.................. thats either the nicest thing any one ever offered too do for me or hold on just a Cotton Picken Minute
What Are you trying to do, keep me alive..................... :lol:
A>
<A

Return to “General Discussion”