morning starting procedure...

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Vatch

morning starting procedure...

Postby Vatch » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:35 am

I’ve been using the 650 to commute when not ride sharing. It’s interesting because I have not fixed (i.e. rigged) my choke cable yet. Yes, it has been almost 1 year. But I thought I would share my starting sequence with you, perhaps some of you can empathize.

1. Turn on gas and engine run switch
2. Pull out choke (not sure this does much at all)
3. Turn idle adjustment know ½ a turn (I marked a spot with some white paint)
4. Stick fingers into air intake (side cover is removed for that “Classic look”)
5. Turn key and hit starter button while giving the throttle a quick twist.
6. Adjust throttle and amount of hand jammed into air intake to keep running for first minute. It’s usually fine after that.
7. For the first mile I then adjust the choke and turn down the idle adjustment knob slowly. Sometimes there is some revving at red lights.
8. When the engine is good and warm it idles nicely at 1200 rpm.

Yeah, I plan to do some work this summer or maybe I’ll stretch it out until the fall considering the bike starts pretty well. :D
Last edited by Vatch on Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'99 1500 Drifter

Buber

Postby Buber » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:44 pm

Hmmm, this sounds for me so complicated and difficult....
here's what I'm doing, even when its cold (like 3-5 celsius)
Push bike out of the unheated barn to the road.
Get on it, start rolling (no enigne, I live in the mountains)
After 3 kms, pull on the choke, open fuel, turn ignition key, put 3rd gear, gently let of the clutch
After few turns engine starts, I keep going, after less than 1km, choke is off, and I'm driving nice and smooth. No problems with idle, or such.

Where's the problem? :)

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:21 pm

Buber wrote:Hmmm, this sounds for me so complicated and difficult....
After 3 kms, pull on the choke, open fuel, turn ignition key, put 3rd gear, gently let of the clutch
After few turns engine starts, I keep going, after less than 1km, choke is off, and I'm driving nice and smooth. No problems with idle, or such.

:lol:

Full choke, twist the throttle 2-3 times to pump some fuel into the carb throats with the acceleration pump, ignition on, push the starter button. (And hopefully the starter clutch will catch after 2~3 attempts.) :mrgreen: When it does the engine normally fires right up. :D

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:37 pm

:lol: Push bike out of unheated garage. Close garage door. Open fuel petcock. Pull choke lever to full choke and use spring-clip(spring loaded metal clip resembling clothes-pin) to hold choke lever in place. Crack throttle and press start button. If no start, remove spring-clip and open and close choke pulling very hard on knob to verify that engine is truly at full choke, re-attach spring-clip and try again. Manage throttle until engine idles at 2000rpm on its own. If engine will not idle on its own, check for full choke again. Once idling, put riding gear on and bungee lunchbox to seat. Ride about a half mile and adjust choke to half. Ride another half mile or so and open choke to full, removing spring-clip and placing it on the ignition key or control cables for storage. :wink:
1980 CB650c

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:41 am

Buber wrote:Hmmm, this sounds for me so complicated and difficult....

What do you do if you realize that you forget your lunch 1/2 way down the mountain?
'99 1500 Drifter

Buber

Postby Buber » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:46 am

Vatch wrote:
What do you do if you realize that you forget your lunch 1/2 way down the mountain?

Hmmm, that's a new one! Actually what happened to me lately, was that I was working onteh coils, and forgot to plug one of them. So, I put ignition on, gear, and What the heck? 2 cylinders not working!!! Took me few moments to get it, pulled over, plugged teh coils, and of we went :)

Breakfats wise, in the winter, when I'm driving car, you actually don't need any coffe in the morning, 'cuz the snow guys are usually late, so pushing through fresh snow gives you such an adrenaline shot, that you don't need anything else :)

And besides, there ARE nice cafeterias downtown..... :lol:

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed May 02, 2007 1:33 am

Hi Buber,

Another real interesting question at 1/2 way down: where the hell is my ignition key? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu May 03, 2007 12:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
1980 CB650c

grimz

hmmm,feel lucky

Postby grimz » Wed May 23, 2007 11:12 am

scince ive dumped the new bat yesterday it starts .no prob
the choke on mine seems to actually help a bit just to get it started but once its runnini gradually ease the choke off,
with no choke start just a little twist while im on the start buttn and it go's
im feelin lucky with the starts only had one issue getting it started scince ive gotten it and and i blame the bone dry battery

soos

Postby soos » Sat May 26, 2007 11:47 pm

Well, last year I would:

turn off kill switch
turn on petcock
pump the throttle 3-4 times
apply choke
and then hit the starter.
run with the choke for 1-3 miles depending on weather.

This year.... hehehe... :)

turn off kill switch
turn on gas
turn key
hit start
after idiling for 30-60 seconds, and go.

But i did some mods to my '79carbs as well.
I drilled out the air jet holes(slow, and main - no not the main jet, and slow jet - the holes you see on the intake side of the carbs), cleaned EVERY hole/orifice with appropriate sized drill, added pods, re-jetted.
Earlier this year after working a 12hr shift, and getting off work at 3:30am, it was a nippy 32 degrees or so, and it took 2 tries to get her started.

The colder it is the longer i have to crank on the starter though.
10 seconds max so far.
At 55degrees and warmer, it starts first try with less then 2 seconds cranking the starter.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sun May 27, 2007 2:14 am

One thing I have noticed is that when the carbs are properly synchronized the engine is much easier to start both cold and warm.

Return to “General Discussion”