hot left foot

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

hydrashock45guest

hot left foot

Postby hydrashock45guest » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:09 pm

So, when I ride, my left foot tends to get hot.
this is my first CB 650 and I wondered if it is normal or should I be worried?

also. I traded a salvage running 2002 suzuki 400 cc dual sport for my CB and noticed that cb's aren't really pulling alot of $$$ on ebay or such. I have bike identical to Vatch (79 in brownish color) and wondered if I may have gotten Hosed major by the dealer :oops: (having gotten $2600 suzuki and getting this CB straight across). Salvage titles are a pain in colorado to deal with it's easier to sell to a dealer and get somthing non salvage. I tried to get a 85 virago 750 but would have had to come up with about 500 cash wich i don't have. I thought about selling the CB650 for like 2500 or 3000 but I don't think I can get that much out of it.
please someone tell me I won't be dissappointed with this CB. i figure you all have better experience with them and their character than the 3 days i have had mine.

hydrashock45asguest

foot problem clarification

Postby hydrashock45asguest » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:47 pm

ok, the heat that is making the left foot hot, is comming from the engine. I think maybe the transmission?
it seems to make more heat when i am running about 40-55 miles and hour. is this a normal place for heat i guess is what I am trying to fogure out, is there somthing engine wise i should look at before the cb is no-b? :shock:

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:13 am

I guess that depends on where your foot is located. 8) But the engine normally gets pretty hot.
I have got rearsets on my 650, so my foot are never that close to the engine though.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:49 pm

A salvage title will kill the resale value of any vehicle, so you're not really comparing apples to apples. CB650's can be had for an average range of $800 to $1600 depending on the condition. Typically a bike for $1000 needs some work and TLC. Hopefully the dealer took care of some of the things. Fixing all that stuff can nickle and dime you and take a while, so if the bike runs (and stops :) ) well, I'd say you did OK.

As for the left foot. These engine can run hot. Wear some boots. Also, check the tension on the chain. If it's too tight it could cause some excess heat build up by the left foot, which is right by the front sprocket.
'99 1500 Drifter

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:28 pm

If the bike is complete, with all of the original stuff on it (exhaust, especially) and in good to excellent condition, with fresh consumables (tyres, chain/sprockets, battery) and a recent tune-up (oil and filter, air filter, plugs, carb sync, tappet check), plus a bit of warranty, then you got a bike at the high end of the price range. Assuming it runs well, of course.

If you have to start paying out for any of the above the deal diminishes in value by what you have to pay!

What are you wearing on your feet when riding? I've never noticed excess heat down there on any of the bikes I've ridden; I wear motorcycle specific (Sidi) boots.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:25 pm

My exhaust has heat shields on both sides near my feet. Are there any on yours? If not, you might wanna try some exhaust wrap or something to that effect. Just a thought.

I get a little bit of heat on the inside of my right heel through my work boots because I rest it against the clutch cover, but I don't recall any heat on my left.
1980 CB650c

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:29 am

This bike is immaculate with only original accesories and 10,600 miles. the only problem is the front brake squeals. i think it might be the new disk, and I have not looked to see if the pads are new or not. I guess it's possible that the brake greasse was never put on when the new pads were put in.

I was thinking about putting hiway pegs on the crash bars, for comfort and heat.
I do not have the heat shields. I have been wearing steel toe work boots, I want some sidi but I just can't afford it right now.

More than anything, i wanted to make sure it wasn't a damage thing before I rode the 30 miles at 65m/hr to work.
when I rode it did not seem to have any issues not running right.

The more I ride this bike, the more I love it. I think that hiway pegs would redeem it totally (comfort wise) and I could ride this for several years to come.

hydrashock45asguest

sorry

Postby hydrashock45asguest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:30 am

I got return happy and posted without a username and subject on that last post.

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:09 am

I'm pretty sure I read in the forum that all CB650 front brakes squeal. Mine do too. There's a thread here somewhere if you wanna look it up. There are a couple of temporary fixes for the squeal. :)
1980 CB650c

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:58 pm

Chris wrote:I'm pretty sure I read in the forum that all CB650 front brakes squeal. Mine do too. There's a thread here somewhere if you wanna look it up. There are a couple of temporary fixes for the squeal. :)

Mine don't. Perhaps I've been lucky.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650

1971 Norton Commando

1968 CB175

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:18 pm

Chris wrote:I'm pretty sure I read in the forum that all CB650 front brakes squeal. Mine do too. There's a thread here somewhere if you wanna look it up. There are a couple of temporary fixes for the squeal. :)

I've read that too. Squealing is OK, as long as it's not to much, or so I was told on the SOHC4 forums. Yes, I know, very helpful. You can thank me later. :lol:
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Re: hot left foot

Postby Volker_P » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:53 am

Welcome here :D

as you do not have the heat protection shields, I think you know already why your feet are hot. I wonder why I never tried to remove them as I still used to ride in winter. :?

My brakes started squealing a bit after I changed brake pads and disassembled and cleaned the cylinders. Before that, they were silent for many years. I don't care about that. Brakes work better than before now, that's the point.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:45 am

Loud brakes save lives.
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Re: hot left foot

Postby Volker_P » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:19 am

Vatch wrote:Loud brakes save lives.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:47 am

:lol: