Semi-Chop

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

CB650SC-C

Semi-Chop

Postby CB650SC-C » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:24 am

Hi all,

I think I'm new on here, but I have drifted on and off of a number of Honda SOHC/CB650 sites over the years. So I might actually be returning :D

Anyway, I have owned a 1983 CB650 SC-C (SOHC in silver grey) for a long time, and now decided to 'get her back on the road', and hopefully make it a bit more 'customised to my style'. The look/ride I want is to be more of a laid back cruiser than it already is, and I am very keen for anyone who has had a go at doing anything similar to pass on any tips.

Planned areas of change are :-

Front end: to strip forks and rebuild with new seals, progressive springs, and emulators (no air), modify reverse comstar to be spoked with 90/90 x 21 front wheel/tyre, and maybe change calipers/master for nicer feel, if something else fits.

Engine: clean and leave alone other than strip CV carbs or change to set that I've had for a few years (but allegedly fit) off of a Kawasaki .

Rear end: fit a CB650C spoked wheel that I've also had for a few years, laced into a new wider rim for something like a 150/70 x 17 to go on (subject to swinging arm limitations).

Cycle parts : Good clean and polish, and seal the Fuel Tank.

Not sure where to start first, but as the Calipers are sticking I'll probably start at the front end, and make my way down the list :mrgreen:

Cheers

GeorgeSweety

Re: Semi-Chop

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:57 am

Hi CB650SC-C and welcome.....back.....again! maybe? :lol: Pictures are always appreciated :D

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:32 am

Welcome here! :D

If you still should have original rubber brake lines, steel-braided lines will be a considerable improvement. Try that first, I was already happy with that.
Stronger front fork springs are a good idea, too.

Look here for a preview on the implications of the idea to have a 150/70/17 tire.

I completely agree with the picture statement. :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

CB650SC-C

Postby CB650SC-C » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:48 pm

Ta for the info :D .

To be honest I've usually found that sliding calipers come up second best to opposing pistons. Unfortunately although the mounting pitch on the legs are the same as for R1 'blue spots', I tried with a spare caliper I had, and there's not enough clearance behind against the Comstar spokes.

An interesting link to the Guy with the 150/70x17. I appreciate that using a later wheel instantly gives you a 17" rim, but the heartache that it's caused him in centralising the hub and sprocket is a lot more than I think I'll have by simply lacing my 650C hub into a wider rim. I'm not hard over on the 150/70 as I've had 160/60 on a bike before and found it to be a good size for handling & grip. However without the significant cost/effort of notching the swinging arm I think 150 is as wide as I can easily go. In any case anythings got to be better than that ghastly 130/90x16 that's on at the mo :oops:.

Return to “General Discussion”