Any jetting needed for 4-2-1 exhaust on otherwise stock '82?

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

fizzlebottom

Any jetting needed for 4-2-1 exhaust on otherwise stock '82?

Postby fizzlebottom » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:12 am

My factory 4-into-4 mufflers are 39 years old and turning to dust inside. I'm sure I could get mufflers alone, but I'm likely gonna buy a 4-2-1 system from Ripple Rock Racers (https://www.ripplerockracers.com/produc ... s-1979-82/). The muffler comes packed with baffling, so it isn't a straight-pipe situation.

Everything else on the bike is stock. It currently starts easy, carbs are properly sync'd, and everything else is well adjusted. What is the likelihood that I'll need to fiddle with jetting?

Volker_P

Re: Any jetting needed for 4-2-1 exhaust on otherwise stock '82?

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:29 am

As the CV (VA44) carbs are not that sensitive to air or exhaust mods as the piston (PD51) carbs you probably do not need to care for jetting.
But as the CB650 stock jetting is already quite lean it is a good idea to have a look at the plugs. It is all right that CB650 plugs are a bit white.
If you mpg is low and your plugs look dark this is a hint that you might be on the rich side.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

fizzlebottom

Re: Any jetting needed for 4-2-1 exhaust on otherwise stock '82?

Postby fizzlebottom » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:23 pm

That matches what I was thinking. I might grab a set of 120 mains just in case, but I'm gonna keep the stock 118s in until my plugs are showing issues and anything else is ruled out.

Thanks for the validation.

Return to “General Discussion”