Carb rebuild kit for PD51A

General motorcycle conversation

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

ekos

Carb rebuild kit for PD51A

Postby ekos » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Hello all
I am looking for carburator repair kit for my 1979 CB650 Z. It has Keihin PD51A carbs, im finding some kits that look similar however there is some small diference in the gasket on the top. I know there are different types of PD carbs for the 650 and my question is if the repair kits fits all the different PD type carbs. Also i would appreciate advice on where to buy. i find some cheap sets however some people advice againt the cheap copy sets and higly reqomend OEM parts. please advice :)

GeorgeSweety

Re: Carb rebuild kit for PD51A

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi ekos and welcome. Where are you located? In the UK there are limited options for CB650 parts, David Silver or ebay. I bought some carb rebuild kits from ebay and I had to punch a new hole in the carb top gaskets, the o-rings didn't fit anything and I didn't trust any of the brass parts in the kits as everything else seemed so crap, all I really used were the altered carb top and float bowl gaskets. I sourced o-rings from ebay and ultrasonically cleaned the original brass parts.

ekos

Postby ekos » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:02 am

Hi George

Im located in Norway. My bike however is import from Sweden

I saw yor post about the quality of some aftermarket parts, so im now looking for oem parts. Want to do a proper job the firs time. basically i would like to replace all rubberparts. Status now is that i just removed the floatbowls and the float drain screw. The rubber i seen is pretty crusty so im gonna change it . Still evaluating if i need to seperate the carbs. Also looking to replace original air filter box to something prettyer and still keep functioanlity, if possible ? Suggestions here would highly appreciated . Do you have the PD51 carbs ? Is there such a thing as a detaild exploded view drawings with part numbers or descrition of each individual part ?

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi ekos, try CMSNL but you should sit down first, not cheap.
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb650-1979- ... dBT2dL7QnR

flatlander80

Postby flatlander80 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Hey Ekos,

I rebuilt the carbs on my 1980 CB650 a few years ago. I had to punch holes in the top gaskets as well since I bought an aftermarket carb rebuild kit. Those gaskets aren’t as critical as others (eg. float bowls)...

Also, I would separate them unless you had to. When you separate them, the have to be synced after, and there are lots of little parts to reassemble the rack.

Just my two cents... good luck with the rebuild!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”