Matte black 1981 CB650

Please post your bike pics here

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

websrock

Matte black 1981 CB650

Postby websrock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Hey everyone. I just came across this forum and wanted to share my '81 CB650 with you all. I have a feeling this site is going to be a great resource for me while I try to fix all of the quirks and make some mods to my bike. I'm incredibly green but I'm looking forward to learning everything I can about 650s and bikes in general.

This is my first motorcycle and I purchased it as you see it in the attached pics. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the idiosyncrasies of the 650s charging system when I bought the bike and the previous owner didn't bother mentioning that the bike doesn't like to hold a charge. I've found out the hard way and have been stranded a number of times now.

My mechanic and I are going to be replacing the alternator rotor asap because it's reading .002Ω. Once I get the charging system fixed I intend to bob it out to a degree. I'll be posting more pics as I make progress.
Attachments
bike_front.jpeg
bike_front.jpeg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
bike_back.jpeg
bike_back.jpeg (9.18 KiB) Viewed 4156 times

Volker_P

Re: Matte black 1981 CB650

Postby Volker_P » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:46 am

Welcome here! :D

Nice bike, correct and completely uncontroversial color. Several non stock stuff, but it looks like everything is there.

CB650's are still not too complex to be fixed by anybody who is willing and has some patience for learning things and reading the manual (see e.g. link below) before tearing apart everything. If you are new to bikes, it is important to know that the threads are quite susceptible, especially for the engine bolts. A small enough torque wrench is required not later than you are going into the engine. If you already know you will keep the bike and like to learn and do this kind of work, you may get it right now.

In fact a zero reading indicates that this rotor is shorted. If you have a cheap multimeter, check also stator. If rotor resistance should be lower than the three more or less equal stator resistances then it is shorted for sure.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

bradford CB650

Re: Matte black 1981 CB650

Postby bradford CB650 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Love this bike! It looks great... I recently bought my CB over the winter and am now running into the same issues you are.. of course, not knowing much at the time, I was left surprised being stranded a few times. Still love the bike though!

Return to “Show it off”